Global Business Russia/Italy - Joint Master's Degree Program
The joint Master's degree program in "Global Business" is offered by the Johannes Kepler University Linz in collaboration with the National Research University Higher School of Economics in Nizhny Novgorod (Russia) and the Università degli Studi di Bergamo (Italy). The program objectives for students are:
- Sound academic education in key areas of Management, including acquiring subject-related, methodological expertise in a business context (management), developing skill sets to recognize and analyze complex issues as well as address problems and develop solutions.
- Developing a global way of thinking and action through stays in each of the three cultural/economic regions and working together with students from Russia, Austria and Italy.
- Honing intercultural skills, including strong language skills in Russian, German and Italian.
- Developing a personal and social skill set through continuous interaction with fellow program participants during the second year of the program.
The Master's degree program in Global Business has been designed for students who aim to pursue a career at internationally active global companies and who wish to sharpen their cross-cultural skill set. The program's special curriculum incorporates intensive teamwork in cooperation with businesses and institutions which is supervised by educators and program coordinators. Based on agreements with each partner university, a maximum of 40 students will be accepted to the program (one-third from each partner university).
The three participating universities have agreed on the following "Mission Statement" for the program:
The Global Management Program at the National Research University Higher School of Economics in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia, the Università degli Studi di Bergamo, Italy, and the Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria, aims to prepare students to work in a global environment. This unique program enables students to develop a global mindset and sharpen their social and cultural skill sets. The intense cultural interaction between class members from different cultural backgrounds helps students learn to embrace diversity. The program is a life-enriching experience that fosters the development of the students’ personality and provides a lasting impact on the level of tolerance for ambiguity, openness and flexibility. To achieve these objectives, these three universities from Russia, Italy and Austria have joined forces to offer students an opportunity to acquire hands-on experience in business within the learning environment of the world’s leading economic regions.
The program's four main features in support of situational learning:
- The learning environment is regionally authentic as classes are taught by local faculty and practitioners.
- Learning not only takes place in the classroom but also through extensive fieldwork at local companies and cultural organizations.
- Students learn through both content acquisition and team interaction. The students form a cohesive group by living and working together over an eight month period, spending two to three months living in each cultural environment.
- The learning process is based on intercultural communication. To enhance the process, the program places a strong focus on language acquisition in Russian, Italian, and German. Cultural understanding is brought about by using methods of self-reflection on cultural experiences as well as active immersion in the target cultures.
Academic Degree Program / Length
Academic Degree Program: Joint Master's Degree Program Global Business Russia/Italy
Degree Awarded: Master of Science (MSc or MSc (JKU)) with the addition: "Global Business"
Length: 4 semesters