Diploma Degree in Business Education
In accordance with the above mentioned qualifications, the Diploma degree program in Business Education conveys academic knowledge and methods as well as factual and moral responsibilities based diagnosing, analyzing, and solving business educational and economic issues in the vocational education systems as well as in the economy itself.
The program expands to fields of scientific study and its defined profile integrates fields of Business Education, thereby ensuring that studies are particularly polyvalent. Students acquire flexible skills to enable them to work successfully at school and educational insitutions including areas of adult education and in related areas in administrative and organizational institutions. A core part of the program is a comprehensive in-class teacher education program and including professional fields of socialization as well as continual education and lifelong learning, a basic professional skill in the field of education.
Due to the program's similar curriculum to studies in Business Administration, studies in Business Education also enables graduates to pursue fields in higher commercial professions.
Prospective Career Opportunities
The Diploma degree program in Business Education opens doors for graduates by providing students with a wide range of qualifications and applications as well as a high degree of polyvalent skills and job flexibility. The program includes economics and educational course content as well as learning about other career-related disciplines, basic hands-on training in education. Graduates are highly qualified to pursue teaching careers at:
- Vocational schools and colleges,
- In the field of adult education,
- The educational sector of business (teaching and administration),
- Educational sectors in administrations, economic chambers, clubs, associations (teaching and administration),
- Higher level commercial colleges,
- Self-employment in fields of business, organizational behavior, management and business consulting.
Graduates traditionally pursue careers at scholastic institutions as well as in extracurricular fields. The range of these fields of activity are broad and not only offer excellent job prospects in the job market, but are conducive with increasingly important cooperation efforts together with experts from other fields and disciplines in an effort to solve complex practical problems.
Graduates in Business Education are in high demand as in addition to "conventional" requirements, graduates are mature, possess solid undergraduate education and are trained, professional didactic experts. Graduates in Business Education are in high demand as they are also considered versatile, flexible and innovative. The skills required to perform and work professionally is based less on a simple recipe but rather on sound education that is academic, scientific and hands-on.
Business educators are subject to professional requirements needed in order to teach successfully at schools, companies and in an administrative context in support of educational planning. Students will learn to create, evaluate and implement corresponding curricula and vocational programs (education theory and political concepts) as well as successfully be able to act and deal with complex situations in a professional, academic and educationally scientific environment using expert theoretical and hands-on approaches to studies.
The required sub-skills will be taught through special subjects and courses. This applies to:
- The ability and willingness to apply acquired knowledge to complex, hands-on situations in practice: Solution-Based Expertise,
- The ability and willingness to critically analyze situations by applying scientific knowledge and methods as well as participate in debates on educational policy:Critical Expertise,
- The ability and willingness to address, reflect and convey knowledge in support of students' learning needs and evaluate teaching-learning processes in regards to control and improvement: Didactic-Methodical Skills,
- The ability and willingness to initiate, shape, and ensure each learner's learning, personality and development processes: Educational Competence,
- The ability and willingness to help design and use technology in support of teaching and learning processes: Technology and Media Skills.
Overall the program also aims to support multidisciplinary key skills such as:
- The ability and willingness to study independently and possess dispositions in basic learning, working and thinking strategies: Learning and Methodological Skills,
- The ability and willingness to keep scientific progress in mind and be open to new professional and social developments as well as implement teaching according to each situation's unique requirements also based on reflecting upon one's own scholastic and extracurricular experiences: Skills in Continual Education,
- The ability and willingness to shape one's own life in a socially responsible as well as professional way, including self-reflection: Self-Compentence,
- The ability and willingness to communicate with people on both a personal and professional level as well as respond to them, engage critically with them, and cooperate: Social Skills.
Academic Degree Program / Length
Degree Program: Diploma Degree Program in Business Education
Degree Awarded: Magistra der Sozial- und Wirtschaftswissenschaften and/or Magister der Sozial- und Wirtschaftswissenschaften (Mag. rer.soc.oec.)
Duration: 9 semesters
Multimedia Study Services SOWI (MUSSS)
Beginning in Winter Semester 2009/2010, sections of this program of study will run parallel the new MuSSS (Multi-Media Study Services SOWI) program. Please find more information here (German only):