Language Courses Abroad
Attending an intensive language course abroad is a great opportunity to not only perfect your language skills, but also learn more about a country and its people. There are wide range of courses and programs available. Please note that academic recognition is only possible with university courses!
Scholarships and Grants:
- Study Abroad Grant in addition to the Austrian "Studienbeihilfe" (min duration: 1 month)
- JKU language course scholarships for programs of four weeks or longer and a minimum of 20 course hours (see announcements)
- Funding for a program at least two weeks in length just before beginning an exchange program. This scheme will end presumably by the end of the academic year 2015/16.
- Language course funding for students receiving the Austrian "student aid" for courses less than one month and not related to a longer study abroad period.
- Financial aid to attend a language course prior to a longer study abrod period for students receiving the Austrian "student aid".
- For special "summer college programs", the Austrian Ministry of Science, Research and Economy (BMWFW) offers scholarships and grants that can cover both program costs and living expenses.
- A number of countries offer their own scholarships for summer language courses. You may submit an application, even if you have not yet made your decision. Please note the application deadlines!!
- For more information on courses and scholarships, contact the diplomatic representative of the country you are interested in. Contact information can be found on the Foreign Ministry homepage: www.bmeia.gv.at.
Please note: Students who wish to transfer credits from a language program must have completed a university-level course. In general, students may not transfer credit for non-academic courses/grades. Please contact the Department of Examination Services or the Center for Business Languages and Intercultural Communications for more information.
Tools to calculate course credit transfer for student programs completed before/after your stay abroad.