Marshall Plan Scholarships
Marshall Plan Scholarship - MPS
Commemorating the 60th anniversary of the historic speech held by U.S. Secretary of State George C. Marshall at Harvard University on 5 June 2007, Martin Bartenstein, Federal Minister of Economics and Labour, and HE Susan McCaw, Ambassador of the United States of America to Austria, officially declared the intention of the two governments to improve Austrian-American relations in the spirit of the Marshallplan and strengthen scholarly and scientific co-operation.
Funded by the Austrian Marshall Plan Foundation, an academic exchange program was established to finance scholarships and fellowships for academic exchange between Austria and the U.S. with a special focus on universities of applied sciences and technical universities ('Fachhochschulen und Technische Universitäten’).
Since funding is always an obstacle, the Marshall Plan Foundation offers up to 1,000 scholarships for American and Austrian students for the academic years 2008 to 2017. The funding will be up to € 10.000,- (at a minimum of € 3.000,-) for as long as five months.
The Austrian Marshall Plan Foundation invites U.S. and Austrian universities of applied sciences and technical universities to take part in this program and nominate their students or students from partner institutions who are interested in doing academic research abroad.
The program is focused primarily on research in the field of technical sciences. Participants will be asked to hand in a research paper or documentary report of their research work.
It is the Foundation’s goal to see more Austrians and Americans participate in exchange programs, thereby increasing mutual understanding and image.
(Excerpt from the website of the Austrian Marshall Plan Foundation www.marshallplan.at)
For JKU students going to the U.S. and U.S. students coming to JKU
- Status as full time student (with at least one successfully completed semester at the home university). Applicants must remain enrolled as students at the home university during the entire research period.
- Research assignment in applied and technical sciences/engineering
- 3 to 5 months or longer
- EUR 3000 to 10000
- Application form
- Curriculum vitae
- Copy of passport photo page
- Research proposal (one page)
- Transcript of academic records
- Confirmation of full-time student status from home university / enrollment at home university
- Confirmation from host university’s project leader or contact regarding admittance for research (incl. planned dates of research period)
U.S. students and JKU students please submit application to:
Johannes Kepler University Linz
International Office / Auslandsbüro
Altenberger Straße 69
- no later than March 15 for research stays to begin by July to December
- no later than October 31 for research stays to begin by January to June
- MPS Application Form (219KB)
- MPS_Info-Handout (59KB)
For further information please contact:
General program information:
Austrian Marshall Plan Foundation
Ungargasse 37, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Eugen Stark, +43 (0)1 50175 419
For questions regarding the application:
Johannes Kepler University Linz
Altenberger Straße 69, 4040 Linz, Austria
Tel.: +43 732 2468 ext. 3291, Fax ext. 3294