Atomic Physics and Surface Science
The Atomic Physics and Surface Science division (Abteilung für Atom- und Oberflächenphysik, AOP) at the Institute of Experimental Physics in Linz was established in 1997.
Present research topics include:
- the characterization of solid surfaces at the atomic scale
- the adsorption and growth of thin metal and molecular films
- the fabrication and characterization of nanostructures
- the kinetics of adsorption and desorption
- the electronic, magnetic and chemical properties of surfaces, thin films and nanostructures
- the interaction of ions with matter
- thin film analysis (structure, morphology and composition)
Technical developments at the AOP include the design of electronic devices and the construction of scientific instruments - such as the development of the hardware and control electronics for scanning probe microscopes and optical spectrometers for surface analysis.
The AOP is also heavily engaged in teaching, both in elementary physics courses as well as in specialized classes and seminars related to the various research activities.