- [2013 - ] Principal Investigator „Consistent Change Propagation in Design Models“ funded by Austrian FWF under agreement P 23115-N23. This work investigates how to make a consistent set of changes across multiple design models or diagrams.
- [2011- ] Principal Investigator “Incremental, Multi-User Consistency Checking” funded by IBM CAS SRG Project 817. This work investigates consistency checking for multiple, distributed software engineers.
- [2011-2014] Principal Investigator “Formal Analysis of Multi-Dimensional Model Dependencies” funded by Austrian FWF under agreement P 23115-N23. This work investigates the traceability among diverse software artifacts and how to validate and/or auto complete such traceability based on constraints that span across them.
- [2010-2012] Principal Investigator “Impact of Design Changes onto Software Models and their Traces” (Other PIs: Patrick Mäder) funded by Austrian FWF under agreement M 1268-N23. This work investigates the impact of changes during modeling with a particular emphasis on its effect on traceability and, in turn, the combined effect on modeling artifacts generally
- [2010-2012] Principal Investigator “Consistency and Composition for Managing Variability in Multi-View Systems” (Other PIs: Roberto Lopez Herrejon) funded by the European Union FP7-PEOPLE-2009-IEF, Proposal 254965. This work investigates the role of consistency management during variability modeling (aka product lines).
- [2010-2011] Coordinator “DOPLER Refactoring” (PI: Paul Grünbacher) funded by Siemens VAI Grant under contract PRO71343002.
- [2010-2011] “Consistency and Composition for Managing Variability in Multi-View Systems” funded by the European Union FP7-PEOPLE-2009-IEF, Proposal 254965. This work investigates the role of consistency management during variability modeling (aka product lines).
-  Investigator “Detecting and Tracking Inconsistencies in Software Design Models” funded by the IBM under a Strategic Research Grant SRG-CAS-2010-04. This work adapts our consistency checking technology to the IBM Rational Software Modeler product.
-  “Detecting and Tracking Inconsistencies in Software Design Models” funded by the IBM under a Strategic Research Grant. This work adapts our consistency checking technology to the IBM Rational Software Modeler product.
-  “Best-Practice-Analysis of Mechatronic Products and Processes at Siemens VAI” funded by Siemens Corporate Research. This work performed a best-practice analysis of three Siemens VAI products based on eight evaluation criteria.
- [2009-2012] "Inconsistencies and their Impact on Software Design Models", funded by Austrian FWF under agreement P21321-N15. This work investigates the side of effect of fixing inconsistencies in software design models and the impact of decisions made. Fixing design models becomes easier if errors in design models are investigated concurrently (rather than one at the time).
-  "Integrated Model Based Mechatronic Product Development", funded by Siemens Corporate Research (Pilotproject)
- [2007-2008] "How to Fix Inconsistencies in Design Models", funded by UK EPSRC under agreement EP/F032110/1, This work investigated the role of inconsistencies in software design models and identified ways for fixing them.
- [2006-2013] Christian Doppler Labor für Automated Software Engineering. The mission of the Christian-Doppler Laboratory for Automated Software Engineering is the research and development of concepts, methods, and tools for the automation of success-critical software engineering tasks. The CD Lab is headed by Prof. Peter Mössenböck. Paul Grünbacher is in charge of the research area on Product Line Engineering in cooperation with Siemens VAI.
- [2006-2008] Requirements Engineering in Multi-Stakeholder Distributed Systems (ÖAD, Acciones Integradas), Cooperation with Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (Barcelona), Prof. Xavier Franch
- [2005-2006] MAKOMIT– MAnagement KOMplexer öffentlicher IT-Projekte: Studie zur Analyse der Erfolgsfaktoren bei der Vorbereitung und Abwicklung komplexer IT-Projekte der öffentlichen Hand am Beispiel BMF und BRZ
- [2003-2005] ARTSCENE-M,City University London, Center for HCI Design (Prof. Neil Maiden)
- [2003-2005] "Model-Based COTS Incorporation" funded by the DARPA MoBIES II program under contract F30602-00-C-0218
- [2000-2003] COSIMIS: Computer Supported Inspection Methods, FWF Project P14128
- [1999-2002] OOSPICE: Software Process Improvement and Capability Determination for Object-Oriented, Component-Based Software Development