The Johannes Kepler University (JKU)
The JKU dates back to the year 1492 (the year of the discovery of the Americas), when the Linz Humanist Circle was established at the court of Frederick III and, in 1674, emperor Leopold I authorized the school in Linz to award the degree of “Baccalaureus” and “Magister” in addition to the title of a “Licentiatus ex philosophia”. Linz has remained a center for learning ever since though its institutions have changed over the years. The modern Johannes Kepler University was founded in 1975 and merged institutions of learning that had existed before. The university’s original emphasis on economy was complemented with a strong emphasis on the technical sciences.
Today, the Johannes Kepler University Linz is a young and dynamic institution of higher education and research. It is not only famous for its high level of teaching and research, but has also earned a reputation as an attractive partner for businesses and various social and governmental institutions. The Johannes Kepler University is the largest scientific institution in Upper Austria and one of the largest in Austria. At present, some 20,000 students are enrolled in the three faculties: the Faculty of Social and Economic Sciences, the Faculty of Technical and Natural Sciences, and the Faculty of Law. Unlike many other universities, where the individual faculties are spread out throughout the town, all faculties of the University of Linz are situated on a single campus covering some 350,000 square meters. The Johannes Kepler University and the Technical University of Vienna were the first universities to offer degrees in computer science in Austria. Today, the Computer Science Department offers 6 different Master’s degrees, including one in Software Engineering.
SEA – The Institute on Systems Engineering and Automation
The Institute for Systems Engineering and Automation (SEA) is one of 12 institutes of the Department of Computer Science (Department of Informatics) within the Faculty of Technical and Natural Sciences. It has a modern computing infrastructure to support cutting-edge innovation, research, and education on software and systems engineering. The institute is housed on the 7th floor of the TNF Building on the main campus of the university with excellent access to its library, computing, and networking infrastructure. The offices of the institute are co-located in a 200 square meter wing of the building.