Inspired by how the human brain works, machines can learn, analyze and make decisions. As an inventor, you can improve existing machine learning methods and find new Artificial Intelligence (AI) methods, thereby helping to shape our future.
"Deep Learning" is the driving force of recent developments and breakthroughs in the field of Artificial Intelligence. Deep Learning is based on artificial neural networks and is currently the most successful approach to the way machines learn as well as improving the way to function independently and without human intervention.
Neural networks - artificial abstraction models in the human brain - are trained using modern learning algorithms and huge datasets. The result is that speech recognition systems improve independently; cars drive autonomously based on environmental sensor information; medical applications exceed a physician's performance.
The JKU's Master's degree program in "Artificial Intelligence" gives you the expertise and skills necessary to become a driving force of innovation and development. You can also learn more about the connections between AI and the law as well as their sociological impact.
Master of Science (MSc)
Linz, optional with Distance Learning
What Makes This Program Special
- The Master's degree program in "Artificial Intelligence" at the JKU puts you ahead of your time. By focusing on deep learning, you are stepping into the future in terms of Artificial Intelligence. Deep Learning is technology of the future, and companies like Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple and many other IT giants rely on it.
- The Master's degree program in Artificial Intelligence at the JKU makes you unique: It is among one of the first AI degree programs in Europe. There is no comparable degree program in Austria .
- Human or machine? Clearly both. At the JKU, you will learn how Artificial Intelligence can serve society - but also where the dangers lie. The curriculum also focuses on the social and legal impacts.
Core Subject Areas
Deep Learning is one of the most advanced fields in Artificial Intelligence. And that's exactly what we focus on. In addition, you can choose one of four elective tracks:
- AI and Mechatronics – Robotics and Autonomous Systems: Robotics, autonomous vehicles, drones.
- AI and Mechatronics – Embedded Intelligence and Signal Processing: Embed AI in sensors and devices; AI techniques for data analysis; signal processing for data analysis in camera sensors, radar, lidar, ultrasound, and chemical detectors.
- Reasoning and Knowledge Representation: Logical reasoning, including model checking and theorem proof; verifying software and hardware, computer algebra, machine learning.
AI and Life Sciences: AI techniques in medicine, biology, biotechnologies, genomics, and genetics.
What Will I Learn?
The Master's degree program focuses on modern, extremely successful AI methods in Deep Learning and Reinforcement Learning. Algorithms do not rely on pre-defined rules, but learn by example and from experiences.
Special courses not only allow you to think outside of the box, but also cover the various socio-political and legal aspects associated with AI.
Depending on the elective track, you learn to ...
- Apply AI Techniques and Autonomous Systems: Computer systems to control robots and their sensors, feedback and information processing; autonomous vehicles, drones, and production systems that function independently from human control.
Embed AI in sensors and devices to make machines, production lines and factories even smarter; Use data analysis techniques to, for example, optimize maintenance, logistics, planning, and marketing.
Apply conventional AI methods based on logic and mathematics to teach machines how to reason logically.
- Apply AI techniques to fields in medicine, biology, biotechnology, genomics, and genetics:
Structural Bioinformatics: deep neural networks can predict protein structure and function.
Drug Design: AI techniques identify the side effects of drug candidates.
Medicine, Healthcare: Medical imaging analysis, predicting the prevalence of disease in specific regions, optimizing hospital processes, improving diagnostics, assist in treating and monitoring patients.
Graduates of the Bachelor's degree program possess a broad range of high-level skills and expertise and are highly sought after in business and industry:
- Information Technology: Austria currently lacks over 10,000 IT specialists, particularly AI experts.
- Manufacturing and Supply Chains: As a specialist and manager, you can develop AI systems to control the flow of goods. As an analyst you can use AI methods to extract corresponding relationships and new information from available data: Where are the weak links in the supply chain? Which parts can be better optimized and how?
- Medicine and Healthcare: Use AI methods to improve diagnostic processes
- Transportation: Use AI methods to help design and develop autonomous vehicles
- Successful completion of the Bachelor's Degree program in Artificial Intelligence at the JKU
- If you completed an undergraduate degree in one of these majors at the JKU (or completed a comparable degree program at another university), you will be required to take 9 ECTS credits in Machine Learning and Statistics: "Computer Science", "Technical Mathematics", "Technical Physics", "Mechatronics", "Electronics and Information Technology", "NaSci-Tec", "Statistics", "Business Computer Science" and "Bioinformatics". The good news is that you can complete the ECTS credits as part of your electives during the Master's degree program.
- You can be admitted to the Master's degree program in "Artificial Intelligence" holding other undergraduate or Diploma degrees. In this case, you will need to complete an additional 20 ECTS credits during the Master's degree program.
- English Language skills on Level B2 required
- Contact the Admissions Office for additional information about admission requirements.
Start Your Studies – A Step-by-Step Guide
From the online registration procedure to paying tuition fees - here you will find everything you need to know to help you take your first step to enroll!
Advanced Degrees at the JKU
The Master's degree in AI is an engineering degree. You can continue your education by pursuing a doctorate in Technical Sciences.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is the AI Program Different from the Computer Science Program?
Whereas the academic degree program in Computer Science covers a broad spectrum of subject areas in computer sciences, the "Artificial Intelligence" program lets you specialize in certain areas. Learn how to develop algorithms and systems to teach machines cognitive abilities that can compare to - or even surpass - human intelligence. This includes - but is not limited to - machine sensing, learning, reasoning, scheduling, speech recognition, and automated decision making.
In addition to software development, the degree program in Computer Science focuses on the fundamentals and methods in the areas of hardware, theory, and applications. This includes subject areas such as Machine Learning, Internet of Things, Networks and Security, Model Checking, Cryptography, Computer Graphics, Multimedia, Operating Systems, Databases and Information Systems. The German-language undergraduate degree program provides base-knowledge to lay the foundations. The English-language Master's degree program gives students an opportunity to specialize in one of six main areas (Computational Engineering, Data Science, Intelligent Information Systems, Networks and Security, Pervasive Computing, Software Engineering).
The Artificial Intelligence program focuses initially on basic principles including programming, mathematics, statistics and logic followed by machine learning, data sciences, reasoning and speech processing. Whereas the undergraduate degree program provides instruction in the basic components of AI, students in the graduate degree program explore modern AI methods in depth that combine deep learning, recurrent networks, and reinforcement learning. The Master's degree program also includes an elective track allowing students to specialize in applied areas such as mechatronic systems, knowledge-based systems, and life sciences. Both the Bachelor's and Master's degree programs are held in English.
How Does "Distance Learning" Work?
Larger sections of the program can be completed via distance learning. Some of the courses are currently in the planning stages and the form of distance learning can vary per course. Detailed information will be available shortly.
How do I enroll my studies at the JKU?
From the online pre-registration procedure to paying tuition fees - here you will find everything you need to know to help you take your first step to enroll!
Similar Degree Programs
You might also find these academic degree programs interesting: