Entry and Residence Regulations.

This is what you need to know!

There are different procedures to follow depending on your nationality and on how long you will be staying in Austria. 

Students from Non-European Union Countries.

If you are staying between 90 and 180 days, you will need to apply for a D visa. You must submit your visa application to the responsible Austrian authority in your home country between 3 months and 3 weeks before entering Austria.

If you are staying longer than 6 months, you will need a residence permit. You can submit the application at the local authority in Linz after entering Austria legally and during your legal stay i.e. with a visa or no required visa, if applicable). Make sure to bring all the required documents and correct authorizations, translations, etc., with you.

Students from the EU, EFTA Countries and Switzerland.

Students from EU, EFTA countries, and Switzerland are not subject to specific regulations in order to enter Austria legally. A valid ID is sufficient.

In order to reside legally in Austria, confirmation of registration ("Anmeldebescheinigung") is required. Students must register at the "Magistrat Linz, Abteilung Aufenthaltsrecht, Hauptstraße 1 – 5, 4041 Linz" within the first 4 months after arrival. The fee is € 35.

The following documents are required:

  • Recent passport-sized photograph
  • Valid identification card or passport
  • Proof of health insurance covering all the necessary costs (e.g. European Health Insurance Card)
  • Proof of sufficient financial means
  • Confirmation of admission issued by the university (Studienbestätigung)

Failure to comply with this regulation may result in a fine.