Study Abroad.

Experience memorable moments at your desired destination!

The JKU has over 200 partner universities around the world. The choice is yours but it's not an easy one!


Click here to learn more about what you need to know: What types of exchange programs are there, how long can I study abroad for, what are the pre-requisites, etc.

Good to know: Financial aid, grants, and scholarships are available to help cover the expenses of studying abroad.


International Office


Altenberger Straße 69
Bank Buidling,
2nd Floor, BA 222

Office Hours

Mon, Tues, Thurs: 9 AM - 12 PM
Wed: 10 AM - 12 PM and
1 - 3 PM

Mon - Thurs: 10 AM - 12 PM

What You Need to Know


  • Maximum stay abroad: 1 year
  • Requirements: Students must be enrolled in a full-time degree program at the JKU.
  • Students can apply for multiple stays abroad. However, first-time applicants will be given first choice.
  • Students may not attend two different universities consecutively; students must complete a semester in between at the JKU! (Exception: Global Business programs)
  • In general, stays abroad cannot be extended.


You can choose from a variety of exchange programs. Whether it be within the framework of Erasmus+ (Europe), ISEP (USA and worldwide) or on a bilateral basis (mostly outside of Europe): The choice is up to you!!

Please note that ISEP programs have special features:

  • First-semester students at the JKU may not apply
  • Program Fee: US $ 495 ($100 processing fee + $395 if successfully placed by ISEP!)
  • Comparable costs as studies in Linz: approx. € 600 per month; financial aid available
  • Mandatory health insurance: US $95 per month
  • TOEFL test score required (test fee € 240)
  • In the USA: Internship after graduation is possible (max. duration as exchange period)

See the ISEP fact sheet (PDF) for detailed information.

Special "joint programs" (Global Business together with Canada/Taiwan, Canada/Peru or Russia/Italy) and "double degree" programs (together with Y Schools (Troyes) and the Southern Taiwan University of Science and Technology) are a part of the graduate degree program in Management and include an integrated stay abroad.


The following requirements must be met by the time you begin your study abroad program:

  • Students enrolled in a Bachelor's or Diploma degree program must have completed at least 2 semesters at the JKU (40 ECTS credits and successful completion of the StEOP requirements)
  • Students enrolled in a Master's degree program must have completed at least one semester of the program at the JKU (20 ECTS credits, providing the undergraduate degree was not completed at the JKU)
  • Students must have taken examinations equivalent to 16 ECTS credits in the two semesters before starting the exchange program
  • For studies jointly organized with another Austrian higher education institution: Recognition of academic achievements abroad at the JKU or supervisor of the master thesis at the JKU


Before beginning your stay abroad, your language skills must be at the following level:

  • English as a language of instruction: B2
  • All other languages: A2/B1
  • For English-language programs in French, Italian, Russian, or Spanish-speaking countries: additionally A1/A2 in the language of that country

Please note: Some universities require a higher level of language skills! You can find this information on the study abroad Info Platform.


When proving language proficiency, a "Matura" diploma alone is insufficent!

You can show language proficiency by successfully completing certain courses:

  • B2 corresponds to the course "Communicative Skills English (B2)" or "Advanced English for Science, Technology and Law" (for law and engineering/natural sciences students in particular)
  • A2/B1 corresponds to an "Intermediate course"
  • A1/A2 corresponds to a "Basic course"

Please note: Complete the course at least 1 semester before your stay abroad begins (i.e. WS for the winter semester). This way you have any required proof of language proficiency for the host university in good time.

If confirmation issued by the Language Center suffices to prove language proficiency, you can use the English Language Ability Form.

No proof is required when enrolled in an English taught degree program at the JKU.



Results from the following tests can prove your language proficiency in English (the test cannot be older than 2 years):

CEF Level


Cambridge General English



























Studying abroad during the Covid-19 pandemic

More info

Exchange Spots.

The choice is yours!

The JKU can offer exchange spots at over 200 universities.

Important information about your host university like language requirements, reports by former exchange students, deadlines, etc. can be found here:


Here's how to read the testimonials:

  1. In the search field on the info platform, enter the name of the university.
  2. Click on the university below the world map.
  3. On the info page, click on "Erfahrungsberichte".
„The best and most beautiful time of my life! It is difficult to put into words how valuable this experience was for me. I've developed a lot and would gladly spend another semester abroad at any time.“
Michelle Hutterer
Student in Economics, during Winter semster 2019/20 on exchange in Hungary

A Step-by-Step Guide to Study Abroad.

  1. SEPTEMBER / OCTOBER – Get the information: Do I fulfill the JKU's requirements as well as the host university's requirements? What kind of financial aid is available? How does academic credit transfer work? What are the study abroad options? Read the testimonials, sign up for language courses, and attend info sessions and events.

  2. OCTOBER / NOVEMBER: Attend the Info Sessions. Click here to view an event calendar or read the info brochure.

  3. DECEMBER / JANUARY: Submit your application (for Summer Semester as well). Deadlines: December 1 for ISEP, North America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Global Business and double degree programs, and January 31 for all other countries.

  4. FEBRUARY: Sign up for language courses and adhere to the host university's requirements and pre-requisites.

  5. MARCH / APRIL: You will receive an email from the International Office regarding acceptance to the program. You will then receive information from the host university regarding any necessary formalities. Keep the host university's deadlines in mind, it is vital that you submit the application on time!

  6. APRIL: Think about the courses you want to take and submit an application for credit transfer.

  7. APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID: Submit applications for scholarships/financial aid by June 1 (or November 1 if you go abroad during the summer semester). Erasmus+ students must also draft a Learning Agreement.

  8. Study Allowance Abroad: If you receive a study allowance ("Studienbeihilfe"), you must submit a separate application before the start of your study abroad semester or year in order to receive your study allowance abroad. All Erasmus+ students must sign the Erasmus+ agreement with OeAD (the Austrian agency for International Mobility and Cooperation in Education, Science and Research).

    See the check lists below for more details.

Show More

Application and Deadlines.

How do I Apply? What are the deadlines?

Have you set your sights on which university or universities you would like to attend? Then it's time to submit your application! Learn more about the application and deadlines here:

Financial Aid.

Money & Co: What kind of financial aid is available? When and where do I apply?

There are a number of scholarships available regardless of your citizenship to help provide financial support during your stay abroad. After all, studying abroad should not hinge on financial problems! Information is available here:

Guidelines and Check Lists.

Organization is (almost) everything!

See our guide for detailed information on what to do after you have been nominated (meaning after you have been officially been given a spot to study abroad).

We want to help you organize your studies abroad. The checklists below provide information from the time you are nominated to the end of your studies abroad:

  • Check list for BEFORE your stay abroad
  • Check list for DURING your stay abroad
  • Check list fore AFTER your stay abroad

Credit Transfer.

Last but not least: How can I get credit from examinations taken abroad transferred to the JKU?

Academic credit from abroad will be transferred. Submit an application in advance. This way you know from the start that you will get academic credit for the courses you take abroad.

Information about credit transfer is available here:



Study Abroad Excellence Award 2020/21

Social Media.

Would like to spend the 2022/23 academic year abroad?  Join the group "JKU: Austausch 2022/23" on Facebook and get up-to-the-minute information!