As outlined in Sec. 78(3) of the Austrian Universities Act, academic credit transfer to have other professional or non-professional qualifications recognized and count for certain examinations and/or academic performance is permitted for all academic degree programs. Credit transfer is contingent on demonstrating little to no significant differences in acquired content knowledge (learning outcomes) between the applicant’s qualifications and any examinations or other academic performance for which applicant is seeking academic credit for. There may be significant differences, in particular, in allocation to different NQF qualification levels, opens an external URL in a new window.
What does a complete application need to include?
How do I submit an application for credit transfer?
- Submit credit transfer applications for law, social sciences, economics & business, and medicine by using the AUWEA credit transfer tool.
Please complete the supplementary form, opens a file to the validation application (it will assist you in completing the application) and upload it to AUWEA. Submit credit transfer applications, opens a file for engineering & natural sciences in person or by postal mail to the Office of Examinations and Recognition Services.
The following academic degree programs:are subject to exceptions:
Bachelor's degree in Chemistry and Chemical Technology
Master's degree in Chemistry and Chemical Technology
Master's degree in Management in Chemical Technologies
Master's degree in Polymer Chemistry
The application will be submitted via AUWEA NG, opens an external URL in a new window beginning in 2023.
Please complete the supplementary form, opens a file to validated the application (the provides assistance to complete the
application), and upload it to AUWEA.
Submit credit transfer applications for Teacher Education Studies (general education,
secondary level) to the LiLeS Service Center.
- Please note:
- applications relating to other professional or non-professional qualifications completed prior to being admitted to the desired degree program must additionally be consolidated into one overall application per degree program (mandatory!). No other applications may be submitted for this type of qualification as long as a validation procedure is pending. The same applies after a partial, positive completion of the procedure.
- applications for credit for other professional or non-professional qualification(s) will be deemed inadmissible if the credit transfer procedure for the same qualification(s) is pending, or if the applicant has already been awarded academic credit for certain qualification(s) (an examination or other academic work) in the same degree program.
How does the validation procedure work?
- Following a formal review of the application (regarding its entirety as outlined in § 42b para. 3), the Vice-Rector for Academic Affairs will ask the credit transfer committee responsible for the subject area in question to submit an expert assessment to verify the learning outcomes.
- The committee for credit transfer is required to formulate the assessment based on the application and the included documents. Should there be an issue regarding verifying the learning outcomes based on the documents alone, or if it seems warranted on the grounds of of procedural efficiency, he/she may request providing additional supporting information, such as
- a (max.) hour-long interview with the applicant (the applicant must receive an interview request a minimum of five working days in advance);
- The applicant is to be instructed to carry out a subject-specific elaboration (maximum of four hours' duration) and given a minimum of three working days to complete the task; or
- Take a (max.) hour-long written examination containing subject-specific problems or questions (the applicant must receive a request and information a minimum of five working days in advance).