You may submit an application to take a leave providing one of the following reasons applies (§ 67 (1) Austrian Universities Act):
- mandatory military service, training service, or alternative military service, or
- longer periods of illness (verifiable) that impedes your progress of studies, or
- pregnancy, or
- childcare responsibilities, or caring for an immediate family member, or
- taking an optional, voluntary year of social service, or
- temporary hindrance from studies on account of a disability.
Additional reasons to take an academic leave of absence (§ 41 (1) Statutes on Study Regulations for the JKU) include:
- a temporary absence from the location of studies on account of gainful employment or an internship that is causally related to the degree program but in which no ECTS credits can be earned, thereby interfering with successful continuation of the degree program, and
- an [other] unusual and unforeseen life circumstance or occurrence resulting in temporarily being unable to continue the degree program as it is considered infeasible or unreasonable to do so.