Application for a leave of absence is possible if one of the following reasons applies (§ 67 (1) Universities Act):
- compulsory military service, training service, or community service, or
- longer periods of sickness which verifiable impedes the progress of studies, or
- pregnancy, or
- care of children or similar kinds of care, or
- a voluntary year of social service, or
- temporary hindrance from studies due to a disability.
Further reasons for an academic leave of absence (§ 41 (1) Statutes on Study Regulations for the JKU) are:
- a temporary absence from the location of studies required due to gainful employment reasons, thereby interfering with successful completion of my studies,
- a temporary absence from the location of studies due to accepting an internship position that is causally related to the degree program but in which no ECTS credits can be earned, thereby interfering with successful continuation of the degree program,
- an occurrence of [other] unusual and unforeseen life circumstances resulting in temporarily being unable to continue the degree program as it is considered infeasible or unreasonable to do so.