Your expertise in business combined with educational skills opens the doors to a many professional fields ranging from management to education!
The Diploma degree program in Business Education combines conventional studies in business administration with education, didactics, and psychology. This opens up many avenues, ranging from teaching at vocational middle or high schools, at adult education centers, at companies, or pursuing a career in business.
What Makes This Program Special
Diploma degree program - Graduate in just 9 semesters instead of 11 semesters
Multiple qualifications for different professional fields
Individual qualifications by specializing in certain areas
Become a qualified BMHS teacher in just 9 semesters
Change careers, even after several years of teaching (education that is not a "one-way street")
Magistra/Magister in Social Economic Sciences (Mag.a/Mag. rer. soc. oec.)
German (Level C1)
Register to Enroll Secure your spot to study!Learn more
Areas of Specialization
- Business administration: You focus on company management and making important management decisions.
- Corporate accounting and controlling: You learn how the business world works in terms of facts and figures and how numbers help you acquire important management information.
- Business and vocational education: You reflect on educational problems related to business and jobs and, among other things, focus on business ethics as well as modern happiness research.
- Adult education and human resource development: You learn how adults learn and how to support employees at companies.
- Didactics: You learn and practice how to prepare lessons for different target groups in business and make the content understandable.
- Student teaching: You become familiar with the school from an educator's point of view, create your own lessons and work directly with students.
- Educational sciences and psychology: You focus on human thinking, feeling and acting and with possibilities of educational support for people.
What You Will Learn in the Program
- After successfully completing the program and depending on your field of specialization, you will be able to prove yourself in all areas of advanced business for higher-level commercial and administrative professions.
- Additional expertise in education and psychology gives you a broad perspective on business. You will be able to critically reflect on possibilities to advance economic and social systems that serve and support prosperity, humanity and sustainability.
- Your expertise in business and education enables you to shape learning processes and take part in educational policy discussions.
- You acquire many key, interdisciplinary skills, such as independent learning to help you shape your life and career path as well as hone your social skills to enable you to work effectively with people.
Did You Know...?
JKU faculty members at the Institute for Business Education wrote Austria's best-selling book about grading and the grading system used in schools.
Your Career Prospects
The ingenious combination of business, education, and psychology opens the door to many professional careers:
- Educator: You create lesson plans and teach business administration, accounting, business informatics and economics at middle schools and high schools.
- Adult Education/Human Resources: As an independent contractor at educational institutes or at a company in human resource management, you create lesson plans for adults, develop education concepts, and organize continual education programs.
- Middle/Upper Management: You pursue a career in marketing, controlling, tax consulting or other business areas at a company. Of course, you can also work independently as well.
- Management, Organizational, or Human Resource Consulting: As a consultant or coach, you use your business expertise and educational background to help people and businesses reach their full potential.
The Diploma degree program in Business Education consists of the following areas:
- During the first part of studies, you will complete a one-month student teaching internship. During the second part of studies, the required student teaching internship is three-months.
- Due to the demands of the program, working while student teaching is not recommended.
Studies Introduction and Orientation Phase (StEOP)
After enrolling in the Diploma degree program, you will be required to complete the StEOP requirements. The StEOP requirements consists of certain courses that are outlined in the curriculum. Before completing the StEOP courses, you can only get limited academic credit when you take additional courses.
Admission to Studies
In order to be admitted to the Diploma degree program in Business Education, you must fulfill the following requirements.
- Hold general higher education entrance qualifications (such as an Austrian "Matura" diploma)
- If your first language is not German, you will be required to submit proof of C1 level of language proficiency in German.
- Contact the Office of Examination and Recognition Services to see if you can get academic credit for classes taken at school, such as bookkeeping and cost accounting. Click here for information about academic credit transfer.
Advanced Degree Programs
After completing your undergraduate degree, you can continue your education by pursuing an advanced degree:
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to have a HAK or HLW Matura to study Business Education?
No. While HAK or HLW graduates have some advantages (such as getting academic credit for two courses and benefitting from more background in business), as an AHS or HTL graduate, you benefit from our experience and solid educational program in mathematics and analytical thinking. By the second part of studies, we do not notice any difference between these groups of students.
Can I also study Business Education part-time?
Almost three-quarters of our students work while studying (approximately half of these student work 20+ hours per week) and we make every effort to offer evening classes. However, the two required student teaching internships (approx. 1 and 3 months) can be difficult for those who are working to organize as you have to be present at the school almost every morning during this time.
How good are the job prospects after graduation?
Graduates in Business Education are highly sought after and you will most likely find a suitable job in the private sector within a short time!
Many business education-type schools currently have waiting lists for teaching positions as the number of students is declining. There is an expected wave of retiring "babyboomers" and we expect (with corresponding mobility) very good career prospects at schools in a few years. In general, the forecasted number of interested individuals for 2024 - 2038 is just above the predicted number of those expected to retire.
There are also various opportunities in the area of adult education/company education/human resource development. Professions in these areas require someone with your personal commitment and educational background.
Can I also be hired as an educator without two years of work experience?
This is only possible in exceptional cases and with a special, limited contract. This requires corresponding professional experience (two years of full-time employment; including independent employment) after completing the Business Education program or a different Master's or Diploma degree program in social and business studies.
What are the best prerequisities to have when considering this degree program?
Business Education is a good choice if you are interested in business, economics in general, working with people, and you would like to keep several career options open. It is important you have a certain degree of mental resilience, are extroverted, as well as enjoy working with people and numbers.
How can I prepare for the Diploma degree program in Business
Education? How do I start off on the right foot?
Together with the Austrian Student Union, the JKU organizes events to help start your studies.
Similar Degree Programs
These academic degree programs may also be of interest: