A doctoral dissertation usually includes a large-scale research project featuring comprehensive literature research, a presentation and method justification, data analysis and a presentation to discuss (or defend) findings before a committee. The dissertation's quality is assessed by at least two external reviewers; their assessment should not exceed 80,000 words.
Detailed Information about Completing a PhD in Education.
There are two ways to complete a PhD program in Education program: The first option involves writing a detailed doctoral dissertation and defending it before a committee. The second option is a so-called "cumulative dissertation".
PhD in Education
General Information about the Program:
Details about Potential Degrees
Cumulative Dissertation through Publications
A degree through research work could be completed based on a larger scale research project or several smaller studies linked under one comprehensive idea. Articles must be published in peer-reviewed journals or in conference reports. In addition to the three to four publications, a 'cumulative dissertation' should also contain an additional text explaining the relationship between the individual publications and the significance of their methods and results. This type of degree must also assessed by a minimum of two external reviewers.
The following academic supervisors are available in the respective subject areas:
- Professor Zsolt Lavicza (Research Methods, Mathematics-Didactics)
- Professor Markus Hohenwarter (Mathematics-Didactics)
- Professor Barbara Sabitzer (Instructional Technology, Computer Science-Didactics)
- Professor Herbert Altrichter (School Development, Governance of the Education System)
- Assist. Professor Christoph Helm (Classroom Teaching/Teaching and Study Research, Measuring Competence)
- Assist. Professor Roman Langer (Education and Society, Governance of the Education System)
Potential Dissertation Topics
The following topics are supervised and supported as part of the PhD program:
Graduation and Degree Conferral
After successfully completing your studies you can attend a graduation ceremony to celebrate your academic accomplishments. Click here for detailed information.