Computer Science includes concepts, methods, and tools for systematic and automated information processing. As an established scientific discipline, Computer Science today is an integral part of business, technology, and everyday life. The Master’s degree program in Computer Science comes with six areas of specialization: Computational Engineering, Data Science, Intelligent Information Systems, Networks and Security, Pervasive Computing, and Software Engineering. Based on the undergraduate degree program in Computer Science at JKU, the Master’s degree program is research-oriented and focuses on today’s advancing and evolving technologies. Students will acquire a solid background in information technology, exercise problem-solving skills, learn to apply scientific methods to solve complex IT problems, and enhance their expertise in selected areas of specialization.
- Research-oriented education
- State-of-the-art technology
- Selected areas of specialization
- Training in problem-solving skills
- Outstanding career prospects
Master's Degree in Computer Science
Diplom-IngenieurIn (DIin/DI) (equivalent to MSc)
English (Level B2)
Register to Enroll Secure your spot to study!Learn more
Program Objectives, Job Opportunities, Career Prospects
Computer Sciences at the JKU is a scientific engineering discipline focusing on both theory and real-world applications. The program combines scientific methods with creativity, multidisciplinarity, and teamwork. In addition to acquiring expertise in state-of-the-art technology as well as in selected key areas, students will also strengthen their leadership and social skills set.
As a leading institution for research, the Department of Computer Science at the JKU provides students with a vibrant and progressive academic environment. The department has strong connections to local business and international industry and is thus an ideal starting point to launch a successful career.
Graduates in Computer Science are highly recognized IT experts in industry and business. Their job placement rate is high, for example as systems architects, project managers, and researchers in:
- Software and hardware development
- Information and communication systems
- Networks and security
- Cyber-physical systems e.g., in the automotive industry
- Data mining and machine learning
- IT consulting and education
ADVANCED DEGREES AT THE JKU
After successful completion of the Master's degree program, you can earn an advanced degree at the JKU:
Professor Anderst-Kotsis talks about studying Computer Science at LIT
Let Professor Anderst-Kotsis explain just how things at LIT are, what you need to bring to the table to study computer science, what research and teaching mean to her, and just what opportunities you have here. See the Linz Institute of Technology for more videos and insight about the Master's degree program in Computer Science.
Recommended Study Plan
As part of the Master's degree program, students are required to complete courses totaling 120 ECTS credits in the following areas:
Master's Thesis Seminars
ECTS Credits (Total: 120)
- successfully completed bachelor study program Informatik at JKU
Admission without extra courses or admission with extra courses is possible with one of the following degrees:
- University degree:
- Angewandte Informatik (Uni Klagenfurt)
- Technische Informatik (TU Wien)
- Software & Information Engineering (TU Wien)
- Wirtschaftsinformatik (JKU, TU Wien, Uni Wien)
- Softwareentwicklung-Wirtschaft (TU Graz)
- Elektronik- und Informationstechnik (JKU)
- University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria (Fachhochschule) degree:
- Medientechnik und –design
- Medizin und Bioinformatik
- Sichere Informationssysteme
- Software Engineering
- University of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschule) Salzburg
- Informationstechn. u. Systemmanagement
- Multimedia Technology
For admission you need to apply at the admissions office. For details on the required documents you can also contact the admissions office.
Admissions for the master study program Computer Science may be possible with a different degree than the ones mentioned above, if there is a certain equality compared to the bachelor degree program Informatik at JKU.