As part of a broad, comprehensive program offered in polymer engineering at the JKU, the Master’s degree program 'Polymer Technologies and Science (PTS)' provides students with an advanced, science-based curriculum that covers key areas in polymer product manufacturing. The program expands on the material covered in the undergraduate degree program Polymer Engineering (Kunststofftechnik) at the JKU. Students can take advantage of flexible options to specialize in a variety of areas such as materials science, polymer processing, or polymer product design in combination with experimental techniques, modeling and simulation. Graduates can pursue careers ranging in research and development to production, marketing, and to executive management positions.
- Unique cross-disciplinary program
- Attractive infrastructure, state-of-the-art equipment
- Flexible options for specialization
- Outstanding conditions to conduct research
- Excellent career prospects
Master's Degree in Polymer Technologies and Science (PTS)
DI (equivalent to an MSc)
Register to Enroll Register to enroll betweenEnter Your Personal Information Online
Program Objectives, Job Opportunities, Career Prospects
The Master’s degree program "Polymer Technologies and Science" aims at conveying the following competencies and skills:
- Advanced knowledge in key subject fields of polymer engineering and science
- Special in-depth expertise by being able to select from an advanced elective track of optional courses and choosing a thesis topic in any of the following fields:
Polymer testing, characterization, and material structure property performance relationships; polymer processing and conversion technologies, including theoretical aspects and practical laboratory work; polymer product engineering and design: advanced methods of experimentation and computation, modeling and simulation.
- Expertise in providing solutions for polymer engineering related problems and assignments in an industrial environment, requiring multidisciplinary knowledge of the product creation chain
- Methodological competencies and expertise in setting up, performing and presenting polymer engineering and science driven and/or market oriented research projects
Graduates of the PTS program are highly sought-after specialists who can pursue a variety of professions at industrial companies, businesses, and other institutions:
- The plastics industry (including plastics manufacturers and processing companies as well as product suppliers and products for use in the plastics industry)
- Industrial companies that utilize plastics and polymer products, including the packaging industry, construction branch, automotive industry, electrical equipment and electronics industry, the sports and recreation sector, aerospace, energy production, medical products and devices, etc.
- Agencies and regulation authorities that oversee polymeric materials and products (such as certification agencies, ministries, patent offices, etc.)
Polymer-based products and technologies are vital to the economy and their innovative potential is limitless. Graduates of the Master's degree program in Polymer Technologies and Science are uniquely and highly qualified to:
- Pursue a position at an academic, public, or private research facility (possibly in combination with a Ph.D. degree program, in Austria or abroad)
- Create a start-up company in manufacturing, as a service provider, or as an expert consultant
ADVANCED DEGREES AT THE JKU
After successful completion of the Master's degree program, you can earn an advanced degree at the JKU:
Recommended Study Plan
As part of the Master’s degree program, students are required to complete courses totaling 120 ECTS credits in the following areas:
|SEMESTER||S 1||S 2||S 3||S 4|
|Polymeric Materials and Testing||4.5||8.3||4||-|
|Polymer Product Engineering||6||9||1.5||-|
Final Master's Examination
|ECTS Credits (Total: 120)||30||30,3||29,7||30|
Contact the Admissions Office or see the curriculum for detailed information about the admission requirements.