The Master’s degree program 'Management in Polymer Technologies (MPT)' combines key subject areas in polymer engineering and business administration. The curriculum is globally unique, expanding on undergraduate studies in Polymer Engineering at the JKU. Applicants who hold an undergraduate degree in Technical Chemistry, Biological Chemistry, Technical Physics, or Mechatronics need to complete mandatory bridging subjects during the MPT program. Graduates of other undergraduate degree programs admitted to the program may be required to complete additional coursework of up to 40 ECTS credits during the program. The program is flexible, allowing students to specialize in polymer technologies and business administration, including Sustainable Development. Graduates can pursue professions ranging from project management to marketing and to executive management positions.
- Unique cross-disciplinary program
- Attractive infrastructure, state-of-the-art equipment
- Flexible options for specialization
- Outstanding conditions to conduct research
- Excellent career prospects
Master's Degree in Management in Polymer Technologies (MPT)
DI (equivalent to an MSc)
Program Objectives, Job Opportunities, Career Prospects
- Basic and advanced knowledge of polymer technologies
- Basic and advanced knowledge of business administration for engineers
- Understanding polymeric materials and polymer-based technologies as part of environmental and social challenges (‘Circular Economy’ and ‘Sustainable Development’)
- Special in-depth expertise by selecting from the optional advanced elective track courses and selecting a thesis topic
- Expertise in providing solutions for polymer engineering and management-related problems and assignments in an industrial environment
- Methodological skills and expertise to create and present polymer science driven and/or market-oriented research projects
Graduates of the MPT program are highly sought-after specialists and can pursue a variety of occupations at companies hiring experts who possess a unique background in both engineering and business. Job opportunities exist in:
- The plastics industry (including plastics manufacturers and processing companies as well as product suppliers and products for use in the plastics industry)
- Industrial companies that utilize plastics and polymer products, including the packaging industry, construction branch, automotive industry, electrical equipment and electronics industry, the sports and recreation sector, aerospace, energy production, medical products and devices, etc.
- Agencies and regulation authorities that oversee polymeric materials and products (such as certification agencies, ministries, patent offices, etc.)
Polymer-based products and technologies are vital to today's economy and their innovative potential is limitless. In lieu of the social challenges outlined in the UN’s ‘Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)’, graduates of the MPT program can also:
- Pursue positions at academic, public, or private research facilities (possibly in combination with a Ph.D. degree program, either in Austria or abroad).
- Create a start-up company in manufacturing, as a service provider, or as an expert consultant.
ADVANCED DEGREES AT THE JKU
After successful completion of the Master's degree program, you can earn an advanced degree at the JKU:
Recommended Study Plan
As part of the Master’s degree program, students are required to complete courses totaling 120 ECTS credits in the following areas:
|SEMESTER||S 1||S 2||S 3||S 4|
|Advanced Polymer Technologies||11.5||10.5||3||-|
Advanced Electives in Management and Polymer Technologies
Final Master's Examination
|ECTS (Total: 120)||30||30||30|| |
Applicants to the program must fulfill certain pre-requisite requirements and show they have taken certain subject during undergraduate studies. Please see the curriculum for the Bachelor's degree programs in Technical Chemistry, Technical Physics, Mechatronics, and Biochemistry to learn more about the required pre-requisite courses.
Contact the Admissions Office for additional information about the admission requirements.