Positions in Computational Data Analysis
We are currently looking for doctoral and post-doctoral researchers in machine learning or knowledge discovery in databases for the newly formed Computational Data Analysis group of Prof. Johannes Fürnkranz, which will commence in October 2019.
We are particularly interested in researchers in one or more of the following areas
- Interpretability in AI
- Inductive Rule Learning
- Preference Learning
- Multi-Label Classification
- Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery
- Monte-Carlo Tree Search
- Machine Learning and Game Playing
- Conduct independent research and collaborate in machine learning projects
- Publish in renowned international journals and conferences
- Supervise students and support lectures of the group
- Master’s Degree or Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related area
- Strong background and track record in machine learning or knowledge discovery
- Knowledge and prior work in one or more of the above-mentioned areas is a plus
- Willingness and ability to work in a team and to support students and lectures
About the group
Johannes Fürnkranz will start a new group on Computational Data Analysis at JKU Linz, within the Institute for Application-Oriented Knowledge Processing (FAW). Together with the existing groups of Prof. Sepp Hochreiter (Machine Learning) or Prof. Gerhard Widmer (Computational Perception), the Computer Science Department of JKU Linz has become a leading center for machine learning and artificial intelligence research in Austria and beyond. In Winter Term 2019, JKU has started the first Bachelor’s and Master’s study programs in Artificial Intelligence in Austria.
The area offers excellent quality of living in the heart of Europe ‒ close to the alps between Vienna, Salzburg, Prague and Munich. Linz provides a superb cultural environment, e.g. with the Ars Electronica Festival and the nearby Salzburg Festival. Moreover, the world-cultural heritage sites Hallstatt and Český Krumlov are less than two hours away. The picturesque and versatile landscape provides countless options for recreation and sports in nature (skiing, hiking, climbing, cycling, and many more).
How to apply
Prospective applicants interested in these positions are requested to electronically send an application via the JKU online application portal.
Please specify Job Reference Number 3989 (for Ph.D. student) or 3990 (for Post-Doc) in your application. Please provide us with a CV, a research statement concerning one or more of the above-mentioned areas, and a sample of your writing in English (thesis, publication, etc.).
The positions are open until filled, first decisions will be made on October 9th, 2019. If you have questions, please contact Prof. Johannes Fürnkranz.