Welcome at the Institute for Application Oriented Knowledge Processing (FAW).
Data – Information – Knowledge, these are our global domains in teaching, research and development.
More detailed our topics are:
- Intelligent Information Systems
- Integrated Information Systems
- Semantic Information Integration, Ontologies
- Semantic Web
- Knowledge-centered Systems
- Web Engineering and Web retrieval
- Information Engineering, Data Modeling
- Data Mining, Text Mining
- Quality in Information Systems
- Business Intelligence, Data Warehouses
- Decision Support
- Process-Aware Information Systems
- Similarity Queries
Starting with its foundation in 1991 - developed and initiated by Univ.-Prof. Dr. Roland Wagner - as a pure research Institute "Forschungsinstitut für anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung – FAW" application orientation is an important attribute of our work. More than hundred projects with partners from research and industry have been finished successfully. These cooperations are the basis for an extensive research work at FAW and practice-oriented teaching at the University.
Since 1990 FAW is co-organising the annual international conference event DEXA (Database and Expert Systems Application) which has grown to a world wide well accepted point for publishing and sharing newest research and development result.