Welcome to the Institute for Application-Oriented Knowledge Processing (FAW).
Data – Information – Knowledge are our global domains in education, research, and development.
In particular, we focus on:
- Intelligent Information Systems
- Integrated Information Systems
- Semantic Information Integration, Ontologies
- Semantic Web
- Knowledge-Centered Systems
- Web Engineering and Web retrieval
- Information Engineering, Data Modeling
- Data Mining, Text Mining
- Quality in Information Systems
- Business Intelligence, Data Warehouses
- Decision Support
- Process-Aware Information Systems
- Similarity Queries
Initiated and established by Univ. Prof. Dr. Roland Wagner in 1991, the "Forschungsinstitut für anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung – FAW" focuses primarily on research with real-world applications, an important attribute of our work. We have successfully completed over one hundred projects together with research and industrial partners. These partnerships form the basis to pursue extensive research at FAW and offer practice-oriented courses at the university.
Since 1990, FAW has been involved in co-organizing the annual international conference DEXA, opens an external URL in a new window (Database and Expert Systems Application). The conference has become a well-recognized, global event to support publications and sharing the latest R&D findings.