To record the loads on vehicle parts during driving many methods come into consideration. Most practical method for the existing situation is to record the accelerations on the vehicle shafts. A mobile low-cost accelerometer-module has been created to realize this recording.
The accelerometer-module consists again of 4 single modules:
- The ATmega8 module with its microcontroller is in charge of the entire control. Moreover the analog/digital-converter of the microcontroller read in the output voltage of the acceleration sensor.
- On the sensor module is a low priced acceleration sensor, the ADXL330. It provides three voltages which are proportional to the accelerations in the major axes.
- The battery module provides the mobile power supply.
- The Bluetooth module guarantees a mobile data transfer up to 20m range.
The designed module fulfills the defined requirements very well:
- With a resolution of 0,1345 m/s² and a guaranteed linear measurement result in the range of ± 3 g the loads can be recognized adequate.
- Due to the Bluetooth data transfer and the battery module a satisfying degree of mobility can be warranted.
- Based on the usage of standard units a very pleasant price could be reached. The costs for one module are at around EUR 55,--.
Keywords: accelerometer, acceleration sensor, bluetooth, BTM-222
January 18, 2010