Lecturer: Marc Streit
Visualization can be defined as the communication of information using graphical representations . In this course students will learn how information, such as graphs, text, tables, and maps can be effectively presented as well as analyzed by a user. In a practical lab part, students will have the chance to apply the theoretical knowledge by designing and implementing an interactive visualization by using real-world data.
After this course students will not only understand the challenges in data visualization, but will be also able to create effective visualizations on their own.
In particular, this course will discuss the following topics:
- Introduction to Information Visualization
- Visualization Goals, Data and Tasks
- Perception & Cognition
- Design Principles
- Marks and Channels
- Fundamental Concepts
- Tabular Data Visualization
- Spatial Data Visualization
- Graph and Tree Visualization
- Time-Based Data Visualization
- Text and Document Visualization
- Selected Research and Case Studies
- Visualization Analysis and Design; Tamara Munzner; Taylor & Francis Inc., ISBN: 978-1466508910, 2014.
- Making Data Visual: A Practical Guide to Using Visualization for Insight, Danyel Fisher and Miriah Meyer, ISBN: 978-1491928462, 2018.
- Interactive Data Visualization: Foundations, Techniques, and Applications; Matthew Ward, George Grinstein and Daniel Keim, A K Peters, ISBN: 978-1568814735, 2010.
- Information Visualization. Perception for Design, Collin Ware, Morgan Kaufmann, 2nd edition, ISBN: 978-1558608191, 2004.
- Information Visualization: Design for Interaction, Robert Spence, Prentice Hall, 2nd edition, ISBN: 978-0132065504, 2006.
- Visualization of Time-Oriented Data, Wolfgang Aigner, Silvia Miksch, Heidrun Schumann and Christian Tominski, Springer, ISBN: 978-0857290786, 2011.
- Semiology of Graphics: Diagrams, Networks, Maps; Jaques Bertin, Esri Press, ISBN-13: 978-1589482616, 2010 (orig. 1983).
- Beautiful Visualization, Julie Steele and Noah Illinsky, O'Reilly, ISBN: 978-1449379865, 2010.
- Visualize This: The FlowingData Guide to Design, Visualization, and Statistics, Nathan Yau, John Wiley & Sons, ISBN: 978-0470944882, 2011.