There is no charge to read journals containing Open Access publications. As an alternative business model, publishers and journals rely more and more on Article Processing Charges (APCs) to be paid for by the authors.
The main campus library at the Johannes Kepler University has licensing agreements with individual publishers and will assume article processing charges for OA publications in part or in whole. The goal is to help with financing, making research findings more visible, permanent, and accessible.
The following applies for the agreements:
- Corresponding authors affiliated with the JKU are eligible.
- In general, they cover OA publications in subscription journals by the respective publishing company (=hybrid journals). You can apply for funding from the university's publication funds to publish in journals that are entirely OA.
- Even if the criteria for the respective agreements are not met, an article can still, of course, be published OA, however the author will receive an invoice to pay the APC but may receive a discounted price under the agreement conditions.
- Since many publishers check the author's affiliation to an authorized institution based on entering the research institution and/or the email domain used, we recommend all JKU authors follow the university's affiliation guidelines, opens an external URL in a new window, as well as to use their JKU email address.
- The Austrian Science Fund, opens an external URL in a new window (FWF) is involved in many of these agreements. Therefore, please always declare your funder and enter the corresponding grant ID number during the publication process so that your application will get to the right place for review and payment.
- OA articles by JKU researchers funded via publishing agreements or through the publication fund will be available in the library's repository, ePUB.
See each individual agreement for detailed information about the procedure and the conditions: