In lieu of current developments regarding the SARS-CoV-2 virus ("Coronavirus"), we have compiled a FAQs section for you.

Below you will find study-related questions and answers sorted by different categories.
If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Contact information for departments at Studies and Teaching Organization is available at:

Tuition Fees

If I have to complete military service or additional civil service
during Summer Semester 2020 due to the Coronavirus pandemic,
do I still have to pay any tuition fees?

No, you can apply to be exempt from paying tuition fees. Detailed information regarding deadlines, forms, etc. is available at: If you have additional questions, you can send an e-mail to:

Has the deadline to pay tuition fees been extended?

Yes, the grace period for SS 2020 has been extended to June 30, 2020.

I would like to submit an application to waive fees due to childcare
responsibilities, but I don't have a current residence registration form.


Due to the current situation, we will accept older residence registration forms for SS 2020 as proof. Please be sure to include the registration form with your application, even if it is not up-to-date.

What is the status regarding my request for a refund?

Refund applications are being continually processed but the current situation may result in some delays. We ask for your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience.

I am unable to attend classes because the university is closed.
Can I get a refund on the tuition fees I have already paid?

University courses are currently being held online, in as much as they can be. Course examinations can also be taken online. The same applies to oral subject area and final examinations. The university is currently working on a solution for written subject area examinations. For this reason, there are no plans to refund tuition fees for SS 2020.

If, however, you are currently completing your mandatory military service, or deferred military service, or additional civil service during SS 2020 due to the Coronavirus pandemic, you can submit an application for a refund of any paid tuition fees..

Detailed information regarding deadlines, forms, etc. is available at: If you have additional questions, you can send an e-mail to:

Leave of Absence

My alternative civil service or military service has been extended or I have voluntarily
reported back. What are my options for Summer Semester 2020?

In this case, you can apply for a leave of absence for the Summer Semester.
Detailed information and forms to take a leave of absence is available here:

Due to the current extraordinary circumstances, you have until May 29 to submit the application for a leave of absence.

The semester in which you have been granted a leave of absence will not count toward the allocated time period to complete your degree program .

I am unable to attend classes. Can I take a leave of absence for
the current semester because of the Coronavirus pandemic?

I have taken a leave of absence for SS 2020 separately from
the Coronavirus situation.Can I still cancel my leave of absence?

Yes. You can apply to life your leave of absence for Summer Semester 2020 by sending an e-mail to: If approved and your leave of absence is revoked, any tuition fees must be paid by June 30, 2020. Summer Semester 2020 will then also count towards the allocated period to complete your degree program.


How can I currently submit an application for a Master's program or a doctorate
with Austrian or German university entrance qualifications?

Due to current measures to prevent the exponential spread of the Coronavirus, you can fill out and send your admissions application for the program of your choice during Summer Semester 2020 with the required documents by e-mail to If your application for admission is approved, you will be asked to present the documents in the original (passport, certificates, diplomas, diploma supplements, etc.) to the Admissions Office by no later than September 5.

If you wish to apply for admission to start your studies during Winter Semester 2020/2021, you  have sufficient time to do so. Starting in May, you can submit the application in the intended form (original documents!).

How do I complete the admissions procedure for
Winter Semester 2020/2021 in person?

Unfortunately, this information not available yet. Information will be published as soon as decisions have been rendered.

Is the Admissions Office open? How I can get in touch?

Can I still enroll for SS2020? If so, how?

At the moment, you can only enroll in a Bachelor's or Diploma degree program for SS 2020 during the current grace period which ends June 30. Enrolling during the grace period is permitted only under certain conditions. Please see § 61 sec. 2 of the Austrian Universities Act.


I sent my application via postal service.
How can I receive confirmation that my documments arrived?

The waiting time is currently longer as international mail is currently very restricted. As soon as we receive your application, you will receive a confirmation via e-mail.

How can I apply for admission now if I have
international university entrance qualifications?

At the moment, you can submit an application for admission to a degree program via e-mail to Please see here to learn more about the required documentation.

What if I am currently unable to obtain the required verification(s) as the
Austrian Embassy is closed due to the Coronavirus pandemic?

At the moment, unverified documents will be accepted via e-mail in advance as part the application for admission. If you are accepted to the university, the required documents must be submitted in the original (with all verification stamps) before you can officially enroll.

I have a letter of admission for Summer Semester 2020
but have not yet officially enrolled. Can I still do so?

Yes, you can still enroll for Summer Semester 2020. To do so, please send your passport, proof of social security insurance, and your letter of admission to: You will then receive additional information.

Is it still possible to enroll in a Bachelor's or Diploma
degree program for the first time within the grace period?

Can I enroll and start my studies during the Winter Semester
even if the Matura examination is delayed?

In accordance with current regulations, even if you do not earn your Matura diploma until after August 31, you can still be admitted to the university during the grace period until November 30.

Due to the current situation, I will not be able to complete the
Matura or vocational examination before November 30.
Can I still enroll for Winter Semester 2020/21?

If you have not yet earned a Matura diploma or passed the vocational examination, you can still enroll under the status of "non-degree seeking student" (außerordentlicheR Studierende/r) to start your studies during Winter Semester 2020/21:

As soon as you have successfully passed the Matura examination or the vocational examination, you can switch your status to 'degree-seeking' student. During Winter Semester, you can change by November 30.

Enrollment Eligibility

Can I submit an application and if so, how?


How will examinations be held during this semester?

Oral subject area and final examinations will take place via video conference (Zoom). Detailed guidelines to hold examinations are available here

At the moment, written subject area and final examinations are still suspended. You will be notified as soon as there is information about if - and under what conditions - written subect area and final examinations could take place again.


Will it be possible to attend classes on campus
and take exams for Summer Semester 2020?

Yes, there will be no lecture-free period for Summer Semester 2020 meaning that classes and examinations can be held during the summer months (July, August, September). You can find the preliminary "Summer" course offer 2020S in the KUSSS-News .

Academic Papers

Due to the Coronavirus situation, I will not be able to finish my
Bachelors/Diploma/Master's thesis or dissertation within the allocated
time period. Do I get more time?

Yes, internal university deadlines for the submission of Bachelor's, Diploma and Master's theses will be extended for the period during which you were prevented from completing or submitting your thesis or dissertation for reasons related to the coronavirus pandemic.

Credit Transfer

Can I earn ECTS credits for volunteer work in response to the
COVID-19 crisis (paramedic work, farm/harvest work, nursing assistance, etc.)?

Yes. The important thing is to provide written confirmation for the number of hours you worked (when and how much) or how much time (such as, 1 month) and have the document signed and stamped by the institution you worked for. Details about earning academic credit (to cover requirements for autonomous coursework) for volunteer work in response to the COVID-19 virus is available here.


Due to the Coronavirus situation, I can no longer complete my studies
before April 30. Will the grace period for Summer Semester 2020 be extended?

Yes. the grace period for SS 2020 ends June 30, 2020. Registration to continue studies for Summer Semester 2020 is possible until June 30, 2020.


The media has been reporting about a "neutral semester".
What does that mean? Will there be one at JKU?

If courses are postponed, what happens I do not earn the required
ECTS credits to maintain my scholarships/grant?

The ministry has prepared new solutions to ensure that the educational and examinations restrictions at universities and colleges during  Summer Semester 2020 because of the pandemic will not be a disadvantage for students when it comes to financial aid, grants, etc. 

Updated information is available on the Study Grant Authority homepage: