In order to be admitted to the degree program, applicants must meet general university entrance qualifications (Matura diploma) and take part in the admission procedure. Students will be accepted to the program based on the results of the entrance examination.
180 students will be accepted to the program for the 2019/2020 academic year.
Admission Procedure Registration: March 1 to 29, 2019 To be eligible to take the admissions test, please registerGo to Form
How do I register and complete the enrollment procedure?
1) Register Online and pay the Administrative Fee between March 1 - 29, 2019
Please note you may not register and pay the fee using a mobile device (smart phones) or a tablet that has an unstable internet connection. After successfully registering, you will receive confirmation of registration per e-mail.
2) Entrance Examination on July 5, 2019:
The all-day written entrance examination will take place at the Design Center in Linz.
- Test registration will start on-site beginning at 7:00 AM
- Test Begins: 9:00 AM
- Test Ends: Approximately 3:40 PM
Please note that on test day you must bring a valid photo ID (ID card, passport) and your registration confirmation with you.
You will also need your reference number (MedAT number) when filling out test documents. Memorize this numbern!
IOn test day you can bring only one transparent drink bottle (plastic) in the room with you. You must check all other items in at the cloak roam.
The JKU will provide writing utensils on test day.
The test focuses on the following areas:
- Basic knowledge for the study of medicine (biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics)
- Text comprehension
- Cognitive abilities and skills (number sequences, memory and memory retention, composing figures, word fluency, recognizing implications)
- Socio-emotional skills (recognize emotions, social decisions)
Click here for detailed information.
Please note that the test is given in German only.
The Medical University of Graz offers preparation courses in support of the written online entrance examination via "Virtuellen Medizinischen Campus (VMC)". See VMC for more information.
What are the most important dates and deadlines to know?
Dates and Deadlines for the 2019/2020 Academic Year (Please note that the admissions procedure is held only ONCE during the academic year!):
|Online registration and payment of a processing fee of €110:||March 1 - 29, 2019|
|Information on registration status and invitation to an Information Session (per e-mail):||April 2019|
|Information Session at the JKU (for registered applicants):||April 23, 2019|
|Written entrance examination at the Design Center Linz:||July 5, 2019|
|Notification of examination results and information on acceptance to the program (per e-mail):||beg. August 5, 2019|
|Admission Period:||from August 19 to September 6, 2019|
What do I need to enroll in Human Medicine?
If you have successfully completed the admissions procedure and are admitted to the university, you will need to bring the required documents to the JKU's Admissions Office during the admissions period in order to officially enroll:
• School-leaving certificate,
• Passport, and
• E-Card (if available)
If you did not complete your secondary school education in Austria or Germany, special admission procedures and deadlines apply. See Admission for detailed information.
How does the study place exchange Linz/Graz work?
Study Place Exchange Linz/Graz
- In accordance with § 2 (3) of the regulations pertaining to access restrictions for the joint Bachelor's degree program in Human Medicine at the Johannes Kepler University (JKU) Linz and the Medical University Graz, admission to the Bachelor's degree program at the JKU Linz is possible without repeating the admission procedure again as part of the study place exchange program with the Medical University Graz.
- Students who have been admitted to study at the respective university in the previous semester and have submitted notification pertaining to continuing studies are eligible to change places. In addition, the exchange partners must have reached their study place via the admissions procedure (see § 71d Universities Act) during the same year.
- Please note and adhere to the regulations at the Medical University of Graz (§ 3).
Deadlines and Application - Study Place Exchange
- Submit an application for study place exchange within the general admission period by February 5 for the Summer Semester and by September 5 for the Winter Semester.
- The application must be completed by the exchange partner and signed. In addition, the application must contain the reason for wanting to change.
- Send the application form (and required documents) per e-mail or submit it in person at the corresponding university:
JOHANNES KEPLER UNIVERSITY LINZ
Teaching and Studies Organization
Altenberger Straße 69
Bank Building, 113 B
MEDICAL UNIVERSITY GRAZ
Organization for Studies and Teaching
Department of Admissions and Study Services
Neue Stiftingtalstraße 2/Entrance A/1st Floor,
- The test must be taken at the university where the enrollment application was submitted. After approval by the responsible Vice-Rector, the application wil be forward to the second university.
- After reviewing and approving the application, the applicant will receive notification about the results via e-mail and will receive further information about admissions or disenrolling.
Can I take part in the admissions procedure at several medical universities?
No, you cannot because the MedAT examination for admission to the Human Medicine degree program takes place simultaneously at all medical universities in Austria.
Does the result from the admissions test taken at the JKU Linz
apply to other medical universities?
No, the procedure in Linz is for students applying for the degree program in Human Medicine offered at the JKU Linz.
Do I have to already have my Matura/Abitur school-leaving diploma
before being able to take part in the admissions procedure?
No, that’s not necessary. If you have been accepted to the program, you have until the end of the admissions deadline in September to present your Matura/Abitur school-leaving diploma. Failure to do so means you forfeit your spot in the program.
Can I also begin studies in the medical degree program at
the JKU Linz at the start of the Summer Semester?
No, as students accepted to the program may only begin studies in the following Winter Semester.
Do I have to complete the entire admissions procedure
even if I am currently enrolled at another university?
Yes, as in order to study Human Medicine at the JKU Linz you must complete the admissions procedure in order to be accepted to the program.
Exception: If you have been/were already admitted to a public Austrian medical university and can prove that you have successfully completed a minimum of 150 ECTS credits, you do not have to complete the admissions procedure at the Faculty of Medicine at the JKU again providing there are spots available in the program. It is assumed that you successfully completed the admission procedure at the respective university prior to admission to the program.
Send an e-mail to: email@example.com for detailed information
Can I transfer course credits (courses/examinations) from a different major?
Yes, it is possible. But before that, you must complete the admissions procedure and be admitted to the program. After enrolling as a degree-seeking student, you can submit an application for credit transfer to the Office of Examination Services and Recognition. Please note that you can only receive credit for post-secondary examinations considered equivalent to courses in the curriculum for Human Medicine in Linz.
Do school grades or Abitur grades count when applying for admission?
No, school grades have no influence on getting into the program. You must score well on the MedAT-H test.
I did not take Latin at school, do have to take it before starting studies?
No, that is not necessary. The JKU Linz and the MedUni Graz offer a course at the beginning of the program that fulfills the requirement of taking a Latin examination.
How often can I apply to the program?
As often as you like as the test results are only valid for the year you are applying for the program and have no influence on taking part in the application process at a later date.
Do I have to enter my e-mail address when registering online?
Yes! After completing the online registration procedure you will be sent an activation e-mail and you will need a valid e-mail address. In addition, further notifications and information about the application procedure will be sent to the e-mail address you provide.
How can I pay the administrative fee?
You can pay the administrative fee during the online registration procedure. You can pay using a credit card (MasterCard, Visa), by online banking transfer, or PayPal.
Can I take the test on another date?
No, the MedAT-H test takes place at all universities for all applicants on the same date. It is not possible to take the test on another date.
Are aids (such as calculators) allowed during the test?
No, aids are not permitted. The test problems have been designed so that they can be solved without the use of aids. You may also not use any of your own paper or writing utensils. The JKU will provide a small booklet in which you can make notes, do math, etc. as well as writing utensils.
What is the schedule on testing day?
The test is divided up into several parts. The first part is held during the morning and the rest takes place during the afternoon after the lunch break. Those who register to take the entrance examination will receive detailed information via e-mail. The JKU also offers an information session about the entrance examination. Detailed information about the time and location is available at: www.jku.at/aufnahmeverfahren
When will I find out if I have been accepted to the
degree program in Human Medicine?
Students will be informed about acceptance by the beginning/middle of August. You will be notified by e-mail – therefore it is very important to provide us with your current e-mail address when completing the online registration procedure. If you have been ranked for a spot in the program, you will receive e-mail notification containing information about the next steps regarding enrollment.