Leave of Absence from Studies.

Sometimes things don't always go as planned and you may find yourself having to take a short (or longer) leave of absence from your studies. If you find yourself in this position, you do not have to disenroll from the university - you can apply to take a leave of absence.

In accordance with § 67 of the 2002 Universities Act, students may apply for a leave of absence from studies for specific reasons. Students must enter the reasons for wishing to take a leave of absence directly on the form.



Johannes Kepler University
Altenberger Straße 69
A-4040 Linz / Austria


Bank Building, 1st Floor, Rms. 113A und 113B

How do I apply for a leave of absence?

When can I apply for a leave of absence?

Apply for a leave of absence in due time before the beginning of each respective semester (SS 01.03., WS 01.10.).
If there is an unforeseen and unavoidable reason to begin a leave of absence, you may apply for the leave of absence up until the end of the grade period for that respective semester.

How long is the leave of absence valid for?

Approval is valid to the end of the grace period (SS 30.4, WS 30.11.).

Approval and authorization for a student's leave of absence will be noted on the student’s record sheet.

What do I have to be aware of when taking a leave of absence?

During the student’s leave of absence, the student’s admission to studies is sustained however, students are not permitted to take any university courses, take examinations or transfer examination credit, or submit and/or receive a grade for academic papers (Statute § 41 Johannes Kepler University Linz)

Do I have to pay the Austrian Student Union fee during a leave of absence?

Students must pay the Austrian Student Union fee after the leave of absence has been officially approved, by 30.4. (SS) pr 30.1. (WS) at the latest.

Students do not have to pay tuition fees for the semester in which the leave of absence is approved.