In accordance with § 99 of the Austrian Universities Act, the School of Education at the Johannes Kepler University of Linz is seeking qualified applicants for a university professorship position in Language Teaching and Language Acquisition Research in English
The Linz School of Education at the Johannes Kepler University Linz invites applications for a full-time, three-year position as Professor of Language Teaching and Language Acquisition Research in English to begin immediately. In accordance with § 98 of the Austrian Universities Act, the position can be extended after conducting an official professor appointment procedure.
The newly established professorship position focuses on the area of “language teaching and language acquisition in English”. The Johannes Kepler University Linz is currently creating a new curriculum of courses designed to educate secondary school teachers in the subject area of “English”. The successful candidate is expected to be willing and qualified to develop and coordinate this specific type of degree program in cooperation with other university instructors.
terms of employment
full-time; three-year position (§ 99 Abs 1 UG)
June 27, 2018
send application to
In the area of administration, the successful candidate will be expected to address and complete organizational and development responsibilities for the existing “Center for Business Languages and Intercultural Communication”.
In the area of research, the successful candidate will be expected to build and develop a research profile and conduct research in a new working area: “language teaching and language acquisition in English”.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Hold a post-doctorate degree/ habilitation (venia docendi), or a comparable post-doctorate qualification, in the field of “Language Teaching and Language Acquisition in English”, “Applied Linguistics and Language Instruction in English”, or “Foreign Language Acquisition and Second Language Learning”; experience in additional relevant areas of English linguistics (such as Hands-On ESP Teaching, business languages, professional qualifications in business, intercultural communications, teaching English) is beneficial and should be included in the application accordingly
- Document academic and scientific qualifications through publications
- Possess didactic qualifications and teaching experience, if possible as part of a teacher education program or in the field of “Business Languages”
- Be willing to develop and coordinate the new education program for secondary school teachers in the subject area of “English”
- Be willing to supervise undergraduate and graduate students as well as doctoral candidates
- Possess experience in interdisciplinary work as well as international cooperation
- Successfully acquire external funds in support of research
Experience in teaching any additional foreign language(s) is desired, but not required.
The successful candidate will be expected to represent and further advance the subject area “Language Teaching and Language Acquisition Research in English” and the “Center for Business Languages and Intercultural Communication” in teaching and research. The successful candidate is also expected to commit to professional responsibilities such as assuming administrative tasks pertaining to university self-management. In addition to key professional qualifications, the successful candidate should also possess a strong social skill set.
If you have any questions or would like more detailed information about the position, please contact: JKU Vice-Rector Univ. Prof. Dr. Andreas Janko, Ph.: +43 (732) 2468 3399, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or o.Univ. Prof. Dr. Herbert Altrichter, Ph.: +43 (732) 2468 7241, e-mail: email@example.com.
In accordance with the collective agreement, the minimum annual gross salary is € 70, 071.40. Any negotiations regarding the gross salary amount can only be conducted with the Rector.
The Johannes Kepler University wishes to increase the proportion of academic female faculty and, for this reason, especially welcomes applications by qualified women. If applicants are equally qualified, a woman will be given preference for this position. The university welcomes applications from qualified applicants with physical disabilities. These applications will be given special consideration.
Prospective candidates interested in the position are requested to send an application (please include all documents in adherence to the stated criteria, a current CV, application form, teaching and research concept) to the Rector of the Johannes Kepler University Linz (firstname.lastname@example.org) by June 27, 2018. If the documents cannot be sent electronically, they are to be sent in quintuplet copy and should arrive at the Rector’s office no later than one week after the application deadline.