International Employee Information.

Has your employment applicationbeen accepted and you'll soon be calling the JKU your future employer?
Congratulations! We are delighted to welcome you on board and to the JKU team!

When relocating to the JKU and Linz, the International Welcome Center is your first point of contact for any questions you may have in regards to your stay in Austria.

Here we have compiled important information about the proper documents you will need when entering Austria as well as information about finding accommodations and living in Linz.
Personal recommendations are available on Facebook: JKU International Welcome Center. 

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us by e-mail or call us. We are here for you!
Due to the current pandemic, we have had to temporarily suspend in-person services at our offices.

Updated information about the Covid-19 situation and changes in university operations as well as potential restrictions to enter Austria is available here:

International Welcome Center


Johannes Kepler University Linz
Altenberger Straße 69
4040 Linz


Bank Building, Ground Floor
Entrance outside, opposite the Management Center


+43 732 2468 3050

E-Mail Address

gehende Studierende vor Science Park Unterführung

Before Your Arrival

Applying for a residence permit, getting insurance, finding accommodations - all of this requires good planning in advance as well as information about all of the practicalities. 
To help start the planning process, we have summarized important points and provided links. Please read through the information carefully as there is quite a lot to consider when relocating. 

Entry and Residence Regulations

The type of entry and residence permit you need to live and work in Austria depends on your country of origin and your job position at the JKU.

In Austria, the respective district administrative authorities (so-called "Bezirkshauptmannschaften") or magistrates in your future place of residence are responsible for issuing and extending residence permits. If you live in Linz, your point of contact is the Department for Residence Law at the Linz Magistrate (German only).

EU/EEA Nationals

If you are entering Austria from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, there are no special entry requirements or formalities and a valid passport is sufficient.
You are required to apply for a registration certificate (= Anmeldebescheinigung) at the responsible authority in Austria responsible for residence permits within the first 4 months of your stay in Austria. Click here to learn more.

Third-Country Nationals (Non-EU/Non-EEA Nationals)

Non-EU/EEA nationals (so-called "third-country nationals") must have an entry/residence permit and visa in order to legally enter and stay in Austria. This will depend on your type of employment at the JKU. You will be required to apply for a visa and residence permit at the responsible Austrian authority (embassy or consulate) located in your home country.

The following residence permits differ as follows:

Visa C or Visa D for Gainful Employment

Residence Permit (=Aufenthaltsbewilligung) - Special Cases of Dependent Gainful Employment

This Residence Permit - Special Cases of Dependent Gainful Employment (= Aufenthaltsbewilligung – Sonderfälle unselbstständiger Erwerbstätigkeit) is for those pursuing activities as part of an EU educational and/or research program. Obtaining this permit requires, among other things, an employment contract, or a preliminary contract, or an official scholarship/grant/fellowship award. The residence permit is usually issued for a 12-month period and can be extended, if necessary, or switched over to another type of residence permit (providing the requirements are met).

Residence Permit (Niederlassungsbewilligung) - Special Cases of Dependent Gainful Employment

This residence permit for special cases of dependent gainful employment (= Niederlassungsbewilligung – Sonderfälle unselbstständiger Erwerbstätigkeit) is for those involved in teaching and conducting academic/scientific research without a hosting agreement issued by a certified research institution You must have an employment contract or a preliminary contract. This permit (= Niederlassungsbewilligung) is issued for a 12-month period.

Residence Permit (=Niederlassungsbewilligung) - Researcher

Those holding a PhD/Doctorate degree or another university degree that fulfills admission requirements to enroll in a doctorate degree program and who are pursuing research activities in Austria can apply for a Residence Permit - Researcher (= Niederlassungsbewilligung - Forscher). The respective research institution must issue a signed hosting agreement (German only).

Residence Permit (=Aufenthaltsbewilligung) - Researcher-Mobility

Researchers who already hold a valid "Researcher" residence permit in another EU country (aside from Denmark and Ireland) can be granted a Residence Permit - Researcher-Mobility (= Aufenthaltsbewilligung - Forscher-Mobilität) when starting a research position in Austria. Documentation includes showing a hosting agreement (German only) with the respective research institution or facility.

The Red-White-Red (Rot-Weiß-Rot) Card

Those who hold a Red-White-Red card are permitted to reside in Austria for a limited period of time and work for a specified employer. This card is issued to those who are eventually looking to seek permanent residence in Austria. The employment position must be in line with the individual's professional qualifications, paid accordingly, and all criteria as outlined in the respective requirements must be met.

There is a distinction between the Red-White-Red Card for Graduates, the Red-White-Red Card for other Key Personnel, the Red-White-Red Card for Highly Qualified Persons and the Red-White-Red Card Plus.

Application Forms

You can find and download all the application forms here. There is an English explanation to every form.

Work Permit - Act Governing the Employment of Foreign Nationals

EU/EEA Nationals

EU/EEA nationals (except of Croatia) are permitted to work in Austria without restrictions.

Third-Country Nationals

Third-country nationals hired as general university personnel are subject to the Act Governing the Employment of Foreign Nationals and may only be hired by the JKU providing they hold an employment permit.

The JKU must apply for this permit at the Public Employment Service Linz (AMS). In general, the AMS office conducts a labour market check with a so-called Ersatzkraft-Verfahren (Geman only), which means that the permit will only be issued if the open position cannot be filled by an equally qualified Austrian, EU/EEA national, or a person with a fixed-term settlement in Austria.
If the employment permit is approved, the JKU may hire the specifically requested candidate for the specified activity.

The employment permit is issued for a maximum of one year but can be extended for a maximum of one year at a time.

Academic employees from third countries are exempt from the Act Governing the Employment of Foreign Nationals (German only) and may work without an employment permit.

Students who are third-country nationals and hold a residence permit student are subject to the Act Governing the Employment of Foreign Nationals and require an employment permit


Before traveling to Austria, find out whether or not you are required to purchase travel health insurance or whether or not your local insurance covers you while in Austria.

Health Insurance

Before entering Austria, third-country nationals are required to show proof of having health insurance. The policy must include Austria and must provide sufficient coverage to cover any incurred medical expenses. Detailed information is available above under additional links in regard to respective residence permits.

Social Insurance

A residence permit will only be issued once you can provide proof of having health insurance that covers you during your entire stay in Austria and is also recognized in Austria to cover any incurred medical expenses.
Those employed and earning an amount exceeding the marginal earning threshold will be automatically covered by this type of health insurance as well as accident and pension insurance (= social insurance) when starting a new job. In Austria, all employees must be insured (once exceeding the marginal earnings threshold).

The Versicherungsanstalt öffentlicher Bediensteter (BVAEB) (German only) is the health insurance provider for JKU employees. University employees also have an option to purchase supplementary insurance at special rates. Once you have been officially hired at the university, you can access the JKU's intranet site which contains more detailed information.

View over the Ars Electronica Center, the Nibelungenbrücke and the Schlossmusem Linz


There are various housing options in Linz as well as in close proximity to the JKU campus for either a shorter period of time or longer. Finding a place to live that fits your budget and lifestyle can take time so we strongly recommend starting your search as early as possible. You may need to look into booking temporary accommodations in advance - for a few weeks at least - until you find suitable housing.

During the First Few Days

Contact the JKU's Room Coordination office to assist in booking a hotel at a discount rate, either close to campus or in the Linz city center. Contact the Room Coordination office's for a list of hotels in Linz.

During the First Few Weeks / Months

Those looking for more long-term accommodation in close proximity to campus can consider the International Studentenzentrum Julius Raab. Locally referred to as "the Raab Heim", there are various types of rooms available at reasonable prices. The JKU Room Coordination Office has details on its homepage.
The Bildungshaus Sankt Magdalena also offers rooms to rent on a more long-term basis.


More long-term housing can be found online through various real estate sites, such as Willhaben (German only), in local newspapers, or by contacting a relocation agent, a real estate agent, or housing cooperative (scroll down to Housing cooperatives in Linz).

Childcare / Schools

If your family is accompanying you to Austria, we recommend researching childcare facilities and schools in advance before moving to Linz. You will need to register school-age children at a school here before you move.

Childcare Services at the JKU

As part of Kidsversity, the JKU offers flexible childcare services for children between the ages of 1 to 12.

Childcare Services in Linz

The city of Linz offers a comprehensive range of childcare facilities.
There are also internationally-oriented kindergartens. 


The Austrian education system provides mandatory schooling for children between the ages of six and fifteen. There are different types of schools and areas of focus, depending on the child's age. There are international schools in Linz as well. International schools are often impacted so the earlier you register, the better. Click here  (German only) for an overview of schools in Linz.

View on Linz from the Schlossberg

Life in Linz

While moving to a foreign country and a new city can be an exciting adventure, it can also be a bit stressful.

Moving internationally requires a good planning and preparation in advance. We would like to help facilitate your arrival to Austria as well as your stay in Linz and have compiled links to the following brochures that we feel are useful and contain information you should know:

Residing in Linz

See the city of Linz homepage for more information about living in Linz.

Mandatory Residence Registration:

Austrian law stipulates that new residents are required to officially register with the city office within three days of moving. See to find out which city office/magistrate you must register at. If you are moving to Linz, please proceed to the Citizen's Service Center in the city of Linz.

Homeowner's Insurance (German only):

Obtaining homeowner's insurance is recommended as this not only ensures your household goods but also counts as liability insurance for yourself.


In Austria, you are required by law to register (German only) and purchase a license for all broadcasting reception equipment (radio, television set, and the like).

Internet and Cell Phone Tariffs:

There is a wide variety of internet providers and cell phone providers in Austria. Comparing prices (German only) is definitely worthwhile.

Bank Account:

If staying in Austria for a longer period of time, opening a bank account at an Austrian banking institution is recommended. You can arrange to have any fixed costs you may have - such as your monthly rent, internet and cell phone expenses, etc. - to be automatically deducted from your account. Your salary will be transferred to your bank account and you can easily make store purchases using your EC card as well as withdraw cash from your account at any ATM machine.

German Courses

Even if proficiency in German is not required for your job at the JKU, it would still be worthwhile to have a basic understanding of the language and this will make your stay in Austria easier.

Each semester, the JKU's Center for Business Languages and Intercultural Communication offers fee-based German courses for employees and students.

The JKU Office for Human Resource Development offers free German language courses for employees at irregular intervals. Send an inquiry to the office and if there are enough participants, they can arrange a course. 

Other educational and advising institutions and facilities (scroll down to Supporting Language Proficiency for Adults) also offer fee-based German language courses in Linz.

Healthcare and Health Insurance

See (German only) or Healthy in Linz for everything you need to know about the Austrian healthcare system, insurance companies, doctors' practices, and hospitals in Linz.

General Practitioners:

If you are feeling unwell and wish to see a physician, contact a general practitioner (=Ärztinnen und Ärzte für Allgemeinmedizin) first.


Specialists include dentists, ophthalmologists, dermatologists, orthopaedic doctors, etc. You can either contact them directly for an appointment or get a referral issued by a general practitioner and then make an appointment.

You can search the physician register (German only) to find the right doctor in your area and one who may even be able to speak your language. Make sure that the doctor has a contract with your health insurance company so that you are not subject to paying extra for your visit and subsequent treatment you may need.

Hospitals in Linz:

Click here (German only) for an overview of hospitals in Linz and to see where they are located.
Many hospitals only admit (German only) patients on certain days and at certain times. If you have an accident, the emergency services clinic at the Unfallkrankenhaus Linz (German only) (= Emergency Hospital Linz) is open 24/7.

Click here (German only) for important information about hospitals and staying at a hospital.

Important Emergency Numbers:

EU Emergency Number: 112
Ambulance: 144
Police: 133
Fire: 122

You can dial emergency numbers free of charge from any telephone in Austria. You can dial the EU emergency number anywhere in Europe

Emergency Nighttime Pharmacy Services in Linz:

Some pharmacies offer emergency night services aside from their regular business hours. These pharmacies rotate according to a schedule. Click here (German only) to view the schedule and see which pharmacies are open on the particular night you need services.

Public Transportation

Linz is not that big of a city and you can get around the city center easily on foot. However, if your destination is a bit further away, we recommend using public transportation to cover longer distances.

Public Transportation (German only)

Linz boasts a well connected public transportation system and the city trams and busses can often take you where you want to go without walking a long way. The JKU is located just 15 minutes from the city center using tram lines 1 or 2.

There are various types of tickets and fares (German only). If you use public transportation regularly, you may want to look into purchasing an annual pass.

Bicycles (German only)

In Linz, you can cover longer distances easily by bike. The city is working constantly to improve the infrastructure and ensure that an increasing number of areas can be reached via bike paths.

Car - Driver's License - Parking

Linz boasts a good, efficient public transportation system and it is not necessary to purchase a car. However, if you do decide to purchase a car - or import a vehicle to Austria (German only) - there are some things to consider. You should also find out if your driver's license is valid in Austria whether or not your license needs to be switched out for an Austrian license. Don't forget to register your car and get auto insurance (German only).

If your new place of residence is in the center of Linz and does not include a parking space, under certain conditions you can apply for a residents parking permit (German only) and park your car in designated short-term parking zones in Linz.

If you work on campus, there is sufficient parking at the JKU. If you drive to campus regularly, you may want to look into purchasing a semester parking permit for employees. Different rates apply depending on your salary and parking location.

Heading out of the City

The surrounding areas outside of Linz, including smaller towns and villages, can be reached easily by bus or train. When it comes to train travel, comparing fares can be worthwhile as they can vary greatly depending on the provider. The ÖBB (Austrian Railway) has a nationwide rail network while the Westbahn only covers the route between Vienna-Salzburg via Linz and is therefore cheaper. To purchase discount ÖBB tickets, you can apply for a Vorteilscard (= advantage card). It can pay for itself even just after purchasing a few train tickets. As an employee, you can also purchase discount train tickets through JKU (Work Councils office).

Recreation in Linz

Linz is an exciting city with much to offer. You most certainly won't be bored here! See to get an idea of what awaits you, as well as the city of Linz homepage.

What to See in Linz:

The Pöstlingberg church atop the hill and fairy-tale grotto, the Mariendom cathedral, the Old Town, the voestalpine World of Steel... If you live in Linz, all of this and more is a must-see!


Linz is more than an industrial city. Cultural events abound and in addition to its large, well-known museums, such as Ars Electronica Center, the Lentos Art Museum and the Upper Austrian State Museums, there are numerous independent exhibition spaces and cultural associations(German only)  that offer a multi-layered and varied program.
There is also a lot happening on stage in Linz. Various theaters and concert venues of all kinds always give multi-faceted performances.


Whether you want to be active yourself or watch from the stands, those who enjoy sports can come into their own in Linz. Click here for an overview of sports facilities, public swimming pools, etc. Information about sporting events is available here (German only).

The Great Outdoors:

You can take a quick break or time out in one of the city's many green spaces in and around Linz. You can enjoy green spaces at the city's many parks, lakes, and hiking trails. Learn more.


Linz is host to countless events that include the annual Ars Electronica Festival, Street Artists' Festival, the Crossing Europe Film Festival, and many more. You can find information about events, exhibitions, etc. in the city of Linz' calendar of events


Checklists and Important Links



  • Welcome2Upper Austria - General information and useful tips for your stay in Austria.
  • The Austrian Federal Government's Migration Platform - Information about moving to and residing in Austria.
  • City of Linz website  - everything you need to know about life in Linz.
  • Oead  - Central service point for European and international mobility and cooperation programs in education, science and research; information about studies, scholarships, entry and residence requirements, etc.
  • Willhaben (German only) - Private buying and selling platform for furniture, electrical appliances, clothing, housing, and job information.

    Our area of responsibility does not include maintaining the content on the pages linked above and therefore we cannot guarantee the timeliness and accuracy of the information.
Contact Point

City of Linz Office for Citizens Services

Neues Rathaus - Hauptstraße 1 - 5, 4041 Linz
+43 732 7070

Contact Point


Evelyn Hetzinger
+43 664 8481271


First Steps for International Employees

See the following page for some interesting facts to help you as you start your job working at the JKU.

Copyright Information