Page Areas:

Current Submenu:

Additional Information:


Campus Map

Hier den Alternativtext zum Bild eingeben!

Find Us Here on Campus ...  more of Campus Map (Titel)

Related Links

Position Indication:


How Do I Apply?

Sorry, this page is currently not available in English. Below you will find the contents in German.

Application for Admission

Each university participating in the Joint Master's programme "Comparative Social Policy and Welfare" is designated as follows: University of Tampere (Finland), Mykolas Romeris University (Lithuania) and Johannes Kepler University Linz (Austria). The designated university refers to each student’s home university at which the student was originally enrolled. Any related registration and tuition fees will be administered by the students’ home university. The universities invite national and international students to apply for this programme.

Students applying for admission to the Joint Master's Programme in Comparative Social Policy and Welfare at the Johannes Kepler University Linz must have successfully completed one of the following Bachelor's degrees:

- Sociology and Social Economics
- Social Policy
- Social Work
- Political Science
- or an equivalent degree in Social Sciences (Bachelor's degree or Master’s/Diploma degree).

The applicant is required to have an undergraduate level academic background in social policy/welfare and qualitative/quantitative methods.

Applicants who fulfil the admission requirements may apply for admission to the Joint Master's programme in Comparative Social Policy and Welfare at one of the partner universities. Admission is based on the applicants’ educational background and strong proficiency in English.

Students will be pre-selected based on his/her application by the department of social policy and politics. Then, students could officially enrol (= national students) or apply to admission (= international students) at the Admission Office of the Johannes Kepler University.

Please submit the following for the pre-selection process conducted by the department of social policy and politics:

1. Completed application form of the department of social policy and politics (see form (pdf) below)
2. Letter of motivation
3. Current curriculum vitae
4. Certification in the original and translated into German or English
5. Proof of a strong command of English
6. Recent passport-size photo
7. Photocopy of the passport ID page

Please send all required documents to at address provided below:

Johannes Kepler Universität Linz
Institut für Gesellschafts- und Sozialpolitik
Altenberger Strasse 69
4040 Linz

As the admissions process is organised jointly with each partner university, the number of university spots is limited and each university will apply the admission criteria correspondingly.

1. Applicants will be evaluated based on the application if they are eligible to the Joint Master’s programme in Comparative Social Policy and Welfare. Applicants will receive a letter of acceptance from the department.
2. Once accepted to the programme, students may officially enrol (=national students) or apply to admission (= international students) in the Joint Master’s programme in Comparative Social Policy and Welfare at the Admissions Office.

Please follow these links to enrol:
Enrolment Procedures for Austrian and international Student

International Students
The enrolment procedure varies depending on the applicant’s nationality and the country that issued the applicant's school-leaving examination (and/or proof of academic qualifications). Non-Austrian applicants who have educational certificates issued outside of Austria are asked to follow the information provided here:

Degree-Seeking International Students

Admission to Master's Degree Programs

Scholarships and Financial Aid:
Austrian universities do not have the authority to award scholarships or financial aid to international students. International students must apply for scholarships or financial aid directly at the Austrian Consulate or Embassy located in the applicant’s home country to then be submitted to the Federal Ministry of Science and Research for consideration. Scholarships and financial aid are awarded in only very few cases and only under certain conditions and circumstances.

To legally enter Austria, international students require a valid visa. Students of EU or EEA citizenship do not require a visa to live and study in Austria. Furthermore, students must apply for a residence permit (=Aufenthaltsbewilligung).
You can obtain additional information regarding visas and residence permits at the Austrian Consulate or Embassy located in your home country.