Master Seminar “Interdisciplinary Business Project” SS 2020
On June 25, the final presentations of the MasterSeminar “Interdisciplinary Business Project” that together with the Institute of Strategic Management and the Institute for International Managementis held in cooperation with voestalpine Steel Division and Fronius International took place via Zoom. The students presented their successful solutions of the practical marketing and strategy problems in B2B markets.
Quotes about the Seminar:
Mr. Mag. Wolfgang Mitterdorfer, Member of the management board of voestalpine Steel Division: “…it was a very valuable day for me, excellent presentations and really useful results for voestalpine. Thanks to all the voestalpine and Fronius student groups…”
Mr. Harald Scherleitner Prok., MBA, Global Director of Fronius Business Unit Perfect Welding: “Seit über 30 Jahren arbeiten wir bereits mit der JKU zusammen. Die intensivere Zusammenarbeit in Form von Seminaren ist seit Anbeginn im Jahr 2012 auf eine WIN-WIN Situation ausgelegt. Die Studenten profitieren von praxisnahem Wissen und die wissenschaftlichen Erkenntnisse finden in der Wirtschaft eine direkte Anwendung. Die Wissenschaft ohne Industrie ist lahm, die Industrie ohne Wissenschaft ist blind. Diese Form der Zusammenarbeit ist für uns somit auch Basis einer konstanten Weiterentwicklung. Die jeweils ausgewählten Themenstellungen seitens Fronius kommen immer aus den aktuellen strategischen Feldern. Ergebnisse der Seminare werden daher direkt in fortführende Projekte und Aktivitäten übernommen.
Das funktioniert nur, wenn neben dem Spaß auch eine hervorragende Zusammenarbeit zwischen Studenten, Betreuern und Unternehmen auf wertschätzender und professioneller Basis gegeben ist. Nach 8 Jahren kann ich dies in zwei Wörtern zusammenfassen "TOP JOB!"
Topics covered in the seminar:
- The first group dealt with the topic of Corporate Entrepreneurship at voestalpine Steel Division. They analyzed approaches of how established companies successfully identify innovative ideas and implement them efficiently and what are experiences of such initiatives as well what recommendations could be developed for voestalpine Steel Division.
- The second group presented their solution to Global Business & New Challenges of voestalpine Steel Division. The students engaged in what directions and trends can be identified with respect to global business relationships, and what insights and courses of actions arise – based on scientific and theoretical knowledge. Furthermore, the students gave their recommendation to voestalpine Steel Division.
- The third group dealt with the topic of Corporate Social Responsibility at Fronius International. First, they did a literature review on effects of possible CSR activities for B2B companies as well on available empirical results. Afterwards they presented sustainability activities that are important in the global marketplace for B2B companies. At the end, the student group explained the implications for the Fronius Business Unit Perfect Welding.
- The fourth group focused on the issue of Artificial Intelligence – Preparing the future of business for Fronius. The students analyzed which consequences from AI technologies can be expected in marketing and what the applications of AI technologies that could be applied to the B2B marketing and sales department of the Fronius Perfect Welding unit are. Furthermore, they presented which technology is currently available and what will probably be available in the (near) future, as well as what the AI technologies that could be valuable to Fornius’s perfect welding unit sales department are.
- The fifth group dealt with the topic the Development of a communication concept based on the new strategic positioning of voestalpine Steel Division.The students made a detailed literature review of marketing concepts and theories that could be applied to formulate an effective communication strategy regarding to a sustainable CO2 reduction plan directed to customers as well as employees. The students presented their results of a proper proactive communication strategy to deliver value from the CO2 reduction plan to customers and suppliers.
- The sixth group presented the solution of Using LinkedIn for the HR and Sales Department taking into account voestalpine Steel Divisions’ internal frameworks. The students analyzed how HR and Sales can use LinkedIn generally and what are the concrete benefits of LinkedIn usage. In addition, the group presented which concrete guidelines are needed to implement a systematic and comprehensive approach to using LinkedIn in the Sales and HR departments of voestalpine Steel Division.