The Department of Sociology at the University of Vienna announces a vacant prae-doc position within the field of family sociology.
The Department of Sociology, a subunit of the Faculty of Social Sciences, is dedicated to the understanding of social problems, empirical research, and sociological theory. It combines scientific research and teaching at the University of Vienna. The department announces a vacant prae-doc position within the field of family sociology.
The doctoral researcher will join the research group of Professor Ulrike Zartler, and will cooperate in ongoing research projects, assist in the preparation of publications and research proposals, and teach in the areas of sociology and family sociology. We offer a vibrant research environment, and the integration into a research team. Current research is focused on understanding transition processes and their impact on families over the life course, divorce and post-divorce families, normative and legal constructions of families, and mediatisation as a challenge for young people and for families. Scholars in the group use and develop a variety of qualitative methods.
Your tasks include:
- Independent research in the above-mentioned context for a doctoral thesis project
- Collaboration in research projects
- Cooperation in publications, academic articles, and presentations
- Participation in the organisation of meetings, conferences and symposia
- Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Participation in the department’s administration
Required in addition to the general expectations:
- Completed Master’s degree or Diploma in Sociology (or a closely related subject)
- Professional competence in family sociology
- Knowledge in childhood or youth sociology is of advantage
- In-depth knowledge of qualitative research methods
- Ability to successfully plan, conduct, and write up research
- Didactic competences and motivation to contribute to innovative teaching
- Excellent organisational skills, high reliability, and the ability to work independently
- Excellent English language skills (written and oral). Proficiency in German is a strong advantage.
Employment duration: The announcement is made for 4 years. The employment contract is initially limited to 1.5 years and is automatically extended to a total of 4 years, unless the employer submits a declaration of non-renewal after a maximum of 12 months.
Starting date: 1 June 2023 (at the earliest)
Website of the department, öffnet eine externe URL in einem neuen Fenster
Contact: Ulrike Zartler, Kathrin Lichtenberger
- Letter of motivation
- Academic CV (incl. list of publications, if applicable)
- Degree certificate/s (incl. transcripts) of previously completed university degree programmes
- Record of teaching experience (if applicable)
- Doctoral project proposal (5 pages max.)
All documents have to be submitted in one single PDF file. Applications can be submitted in English or German.
Zur Stellenausschreibung, öffnet eine externe URL in einem neuen Fenster