Real-time rendering and visualization techniques are essential fundamentals for many areas in computer graphics, such as computer games, interactive graphics applications, information visualization, and scientific visualization. This course will summarize the most important topics of modern areas of interactive computer graphics and visualization. Participants will learn fundamental computer graphic techniques for computer games, information visualization and scientific visualization.
In particular, this course will discuss the following constitutive topics: Introduction to interactive computer graphics and visualization, information visualization and scientific visualization, computational illumination, high-dynamic range visualization (including tone-mapping and inverse tone-mapping), non-photorealistic rendering (including cartoon-based rendering, artistic rendering, and sketch-based rendering), image-based rendering (including lightfields, billboards, and sprites), volume and point-based rendering (splatting), scalar-, vector- and tensor-visualization; domain modelling, table-, tree-, graph- and text-visualization.
- High Dynamic Range Imaging: Acquisition, Display, and Image-Based Lighting, 2nd Edition, Erik Reinhard, Greg Ward, Sumanta Pattanaik, and Paul Debevec, Wolfgang Heidrich, and Karol Myszkowski, Morgan Kaufman, ISBN: 012374914X2010, 2010
- Color Imaging: Fundamentals and Applications, Erik Reinhard, Erum Arif Khan, Ahmet Oguz Akyuz, AK Peters, ISBN: 978-1568813448, 2008
- GPU Gems 1-3, Fernando, Pharr, Nguyen, Addison Wesley, ISBN: 0321228324,0321335597,0321515269, 2004-2007
- Real-Time Rendering, Akenine-Möller, Haines, and Hoffman, 3rd edition, AK Peters, ISBN: 1568814240, 2008
- Image-Based Rendering, Heung-Yeung Shum, Shing-Chow Chan, and Sing Bing Kang, Springer, ISBN: 0387211136, 2005
- Data Visualization: Principle and Practice, Alexandru C. Thela, AK Peters, 2008, ISBN: 978-1-56881-306-6
- Information Visualization: Perception for Design, Colin Ware, Morgan Kaufmann, ISBN: 1558608192, 2004
- Information Visualization: Design for Interaction, Robert Spence, Prentice Hall, ISBN: 978-0132065504, 2006
- Proceedings and course notes of ACM Siggraph, IEEE Transactions on Graphics, IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Proceedings and course notes of Eurographics