Statistics deals with methods for proper acquisition, description and analysis of data. Aim of scientific statistics is the development and judgement of methods, which allow to infer on hidden facts based on experimentally gained data or data from surveys.
Areas of Activity
Graduates of the Statistics program work in different fields such as:
- Federal Statistical Agencies (Statistics Austria) or Agencies of provinces and communities
- Chambers and public services
- Larger companies with quality assurance
- Public opinion research and social research institutes
- Banks and insurances
- Medicine, biology and pharmacy
- Data Science (Data bases, Big Data)
- Science and Research
- General Questions: Assoz. Univ.-Prof.in Dipl.-Ing.in Dr.in Bettina Grün (Head of the Study Commission)
- Questions regarding Credit Transfer for Examinations: Assoz. Univ.-Prof.in Mag.a Dr.in Helga Wagner (Praeses of the Assessment Commision for Statistics)
JKU will presently not offer an autonomous study program Data science. However, there is the possibility to choose a course specialization Data Science in the Master Studiies Statistics, Computer Science and Business Informatics.
We recommend students of Statistics, who are interested in specifics in Data Science beyond that to select courses from computer science, business intelligence, machine learning, and artificial intelligence as free electives in their bachelor's program and masters' program Statistics.
Master's Degree in Statistics