Organizational Matters For International Students.

Are you planning to come to Austria and study at the JKU? In this case - and in addition to applying for admission to the university - there are some other very important organizational matters to address.

Applying for a residence permit, getting healthcare insurance, finding a place to live - all of these things require time and having the right information. 
To assist in your planning, we have summarized some of the most important things to know and have included links.


View on Linz from the Schlossberg

Before Traveling to Austria

Entry and Residency Regulations

EEA Nationals

There are no special entry formalities for students coming from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland. A valid passport is sufficient to enter Austria legally. 

During the first 4 months of your stay in Austria, you are required to apply for a confirmation of registration (Anmeldebescheinigung) at the local residence authority in Austria. Click here to learn more.


Third-Country Nationals

Nationals from non-EU/EEA countries (so-called "third-country nationals") require an entry visa and/or residence permit in order to legally enter Austria and reside in Austria.

If you wish to study at the JKU, you can apply for a student residence permit (=Aufenthaltsbewilligung – Student).


Apply for a student residence permit (=Aufenthaltsbewilligung – Student) in person at the responsible Austrian authority (embassy/consulate) in your home country. The authorities there will review your application and forward it to the corresponding authorities in Austria, where your application will be reviewed to ensure you meet the prerequisites for a student residence permit. A decision will be rendered within 90 days. If the requirements are fulfilled, you must apply for a D visa (if necessary) in order to legally enter Austria. You will have to pick up the residence permit in person at the Integration Office of the City of Linz.

If you are entitled to enter Austria without a visa, you can submit an application at the Integration Office of the City of Linz. Click here to learn more about which countries do not require a visa for Austria.

Click here to learn more about the requirements, procedure, required documents, etc.


Travel Health and Health Insurance

Before arriving in Austria, you will need to procure health and travel health insurance.

  • EU/EEA citizens holding an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are (with a few exceptions) also insured in Austria. It is important to obtain detailed information from your insurance provider before arriving in Austria. In addition, we recommend purchasing private health insurance which also includes a clause to cover any necessary transportation back to your home country.  
  • Third-country nationals have to purchase health insurance that covers all risks and is also valid in Austria. To enter Austria, a valid travel health insurance covering all risks must be taken out as well.

Important details about health and travel health insurance are provided here.



Independent Student Insurance (German only)

Degree-seeking students with a normal residence in Austria for a minimum period of at least 6 months can purchase an independent insurance policy under certain conditions at a health authority office regardless of non-Austrian citizenship.


Students are responsible for finding their own accommodation in Austria. There are different options to reside for a short period of time or longer.


Student Residences / Dormitories

There are 11 student residences/dormitories located around the JKU campus and they can accommodate approximately 3,000 students. There are also a number of student residences/dormitories in and around the downtown area of Linz. Click here to learn more.


Shared Flats or Your Own Flat

If you prefer a room in a shared flat or you prefer your own flat, take a look at the Austrian Student Union Housing Information page (German only) or at Willhaben (German only).


Accomodations Upon Arrival

If you are not yet able to move into your room or flat upon arrival in Linz and need a temporary solution for a few days, you can book a hotel room at a discount rate through the JKU. You can also find a large selection of temporary accomodations on Airbnb.

Checklist to Enter Austria

View over the Ars Electronica Center, the Nibelungenbrücke and the Schlossmusem Linz

While moving to a new country and a new city can be an exciting adventure, it can also be a bit stressful. We would like to help facilitate your arrival to Austria as well as your stay in Linz and have compiled links to the following brochures that we feel are useful and contain information you should know:

Living in Linz

Residing in Linz

See the city of Linz homepage for more information about living in Linz.

Mandatory Registration:

Austrian law stipulates that new residents are required to officially register with the city office within three days of moving. See to find out which city office/magistrate you must register at. If you are moving to Linz, please proceed to the Office for Citizen Services in the city of Linz.

Homeowner's Insurance:

Obtaining homeowner's insurance is recommended as this not only insures your household goods, but also counts as liability insurance for yourself.


In Austria, you are required by law to register (German only) and purchase a license for all broadcasting reception equipment (radio, televsion set, and the like).

Internet and Mobile Phone Services:

There are a wide variety of internet service rates and cell phone providers in Austria. Take a moment to shop around and compare prices (German only). Some providers offer discount rates for students.

Bank Account:

If you will be staying in Austria for a longer period of time, think about opening an Austrian bank account. You can arrange to have some of your fixed costs - such as monthly rent, internet and cell phone expenses etc. - automatically deducted from your account. You can also arrange for automatic salary deposit as well as use your bank-issued bank card for store purchases or to withdraw cash from your account at ATM machines. Click here (German only) for information about student bank accounts.

German Courses

Even if you are enrolled in a degree program taught entirely in English, it would still be worthwhile to have a basic understanding of the language and this will make your stay in Austria easier.

Each semester, the Center for Business Languages and Intercultural Communications at the JKU offers fee-based German language courses for students.

Other educational and advising institutions and facilities offer fee-based courses to help you learn German. Click here and scroll down to Supporting Language Proficiency for Adults.


Childcare Services and Schools

Childcare Services at the JKU:

As mentioned above, the JKU offers flexible childcare services for children between the ages of 1 and 12.

Childcare Services in Linz:

The city of Linz also has a wide range of childcare facilities. We highly recommend learning more about availability and registering in advance, ideally before you move to Linz.



Children between the ages of six and fifteen are required to attend school in Austria. There are different types of schools and areas of focus, depending on the child's age. There are international schools in Linz as well. These schools are popular, so the earlier you register, the better. 

Healthcare and Health Insurance

See Healthy in Linz for everything you need to know about the Austrian healthcare system, insurance companies, doctors' practices, and hospitals in Linz. 

General Practitioners:

If you are feeling unwell and wish to see a physician, contact a general practitioner (=Ärztinnen und Ärzte für Allgemeinmedizin) first.



Specialists include dentists, ophthalmologists, dermatologists, orthopedic doctors, etc. You can either contact them directly for an appointment or get a referral issued by a general practitioner and then make an appoinment.

See: Find a Doctor (German only) to locate the right doctor in your area and one who may even be able to speak your language. Make sure to check that your health insurance covers your visit so that you are not subject to paying extra for your visit and subsequent treatment you many need.

Hospitals in Linz:

Click here (German only) for an overview of hospitals in Linz and to see where they are located.
Many hospitals only admit (German only) patients on certain days and at certain times. If you have an accident, the emergency services clinic at the Unfallkrankenhaus Linz (German only) (= Emergency Hospital Linz) is open 24/7.


Important Phone Numbers:

EU Emergency Number: 112
Ambulance: 144
Police: 133
Fire: 122

You can dial emergency numbers free of charge from any telephone in Austria. You can dial the Euro emergency number anywhere in Europe

Emergency Nighttime Pharmacy Services in Linz:

Some pharmacies offer emergency night services aside from their regular business hours. These pharmacies rotate according to a schedule. If you need medications, etc., you can find out which pharmacies are open for night services here (German only).

Public Transportation

Linz is not that big and you can easily get around the city center on foot. However, if your destination is a bit further away, we recommend using public transportation to cover longer distances. Click here for important information about driving (insurance, parking, registering your car) and transportation in Linz.


Public Transportation (German only):

Linz boasts a well connected public transportation system and the city trams and busses can often take you where you want to go without walking a long way. The JKU is located just 15 minutes from the city center using tram lines 1 or 2.

There various types of tickets and fares (German only). If you reside in Linz, you may want to look into purchasing an inexpensive student pass.


Bicycles (German only):

In Linz, you can cover longer distances easily by bike. The city is working constantly to improve the infrastructure and ensure that an increasing number of areas can be reached via bike paths.


Cars - Driver's Licenses - Parking:

Linz boasts a good, efficient public transportation system and it is not really necessary to purchase a car. However, if you do decide to purchase a car - or import your car from abroad to Austria (German only) - there are quite a few things to consider. You should also find out if your driver's license is valid in Austria and whether or not your license needs to be switched out for an Austrian license. Don't forget to register your car and purchase insurance (German only).

If your new place of residence is in the center of Linz and does not include a parking space, under certain conditions you can apply for a residence parking permit (German only) and park your car in designated short-term parking zones in Linz.

The JKU has sufficient parking on campus. If you drive to campus regularly, you may want to look into purchasing a semester parking permit for students.


Heading out of the City:

The surrounding areas outside of Linz, including smaller towns and villages, can be reached easily by bus or train. When it comes to train travel, comparing fares can be worthwhile as they can vary greatly depending on the provider. The ÖBB has a nationwide rail network while the Westbahn only covers the route between Vienna-Salzburg via Linz and is therefore cheaper. To purchase discount ÖBB tickets, you can apply for a Vorteilscard (= advantage card). It can pay for itself even just after purchasing a few train tickets.

Working in Austria

Students who are EU/EEA nationals or Swiss nationals are allowed to work in Austria without having to procure an extra work permit.


Students who are third-country nationals and hold a residence permit are subject to the Employment of Foreign Nationals Act and require an employment permit
The employer must apply for the employment permit at the Public Employment Service Austria (AMS).



You can find various job ads in, for example, the Student Union Job Exchange Board (German only), Willhaben (German only),

Recreation in Linz

Linz is an exciting city with much to offer. You most certainly won't be bored here! See,  as well as the city of Linz homepage, to get an idea of what awaits you,.


What to See in Linz:

The Pöstlingberg church atop the hill and fairy-tale grotto, the Mariendom cathedral, the Old Town, the voestalpine World of Steel... If you live in Linz, all of this and more is a must-see!



Linz is more than an industrial city. Cultural events abound and in addition to its large, well-known museums, such as Ars Electronica Center, the Lentos Art Museum and the Upper Austrian State Museums, there are numerous independent exhibition spaces and cultural associations (German only) that offer a multi-layered and varied program.
There is also a lot happening on stage in Linz. Various theaters and concert venues of all kinds always give multi-faceted performances.




Whether you want to be active yourself or watch from the stands, those who enjoy sports can come into their own in Linz. Click here for an overview of sports facilities, public swimming pools, etc. Information about sporting events is available here (German only).


The Great Outdoors:

You can take a quick break or time out in one of the city's many green spaces in and around Linz. You can enjoy green spaces at the city's many parks, lakes, and hiking trails. Learn more.



Linz is host to countless events that include the annual Ars Electronica Festival, "Höhenrausch" exhibition, Street Artists' Festival, the Crossing Europe Film Festival, and many more. You can find information about events, exhibitions, etc. in the city of Linz' calendar of events




Checklists and Important Links



  • Welcome2Upper Austria - General information and useful tips for your stay in Austria.
  • Austrian Government's Platform for Migration - Information about moving to and residing in Austria.
  • City of Linz website - everything you need to know about life in Linz.
  • Oead - Central service point for European and international mobility and cooperation programs in education, science and research; information about studies, scholarships, entry and residence requirements, etc.
  • Willhaben (German only) - Private buy/sell platform for furniture, electrical appliances, clothing, housing, and job information.
Point of Contact

JKU Austrian Student Union

Keplergebäude Bldg. (Altenbergerstraße 69, 4040 Linz)
+43 732 2468 5950

Point of Contact


Bettina Török 
+43 732 79810-5060

Point of Contact

City of Linz Office for Citizens Services

Neues Rathaus - Hauptstraße 1 - 5, 4041 Linz
+43 732 7070