Come to the JKU and experience an unforgettable adventure!
Do you want to study abroad and learn or improve your German? – Located in the heart of Europe, the JKU is the perfect destination. Enjoy the charming atmosphere, a safe and green environment, plenty of outdoor recreation, and a rich cultural experience.
This page provides information for students who are interested in an exchange semester or year at the JKU. Prospective exchange students have to apply for the programme through and be nominated by their home university.
There is NO partnership agreement between the JKU and your home university? Apply for regular admission.
Over 2500 courses are held at the JKU each semester - approx. 500 of them are in English language.
- Business & Economics
- Social Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Engineering (predominantly in German)
- Law (predominantly in German)
- Medicine (German only)
Exchange students are required to have at least a B2 level in the language of instruction (English or German, depending on the degree program and selected courses).
The following certifications are accepted:
- All internationally recognized language certificates such as TOEFL, Goethe etc.
- English or German courses at the required level (minimum B2) as noted in your Transcript of Records
- Confirmation issued by your home university in regards to your language skills (English and/or German) at the required level (minimum B2).
Semester Dates (including the pre-semester programme)academic calendar
Before the official start of each semester...
...the International Office organizes a number of events that provide valuable opportunities to learn more about JKU, the city of Linz and its surrounding area. These 3 weeks are perfect to meet other exchange students.
The attandance of the orientation programme is COMPULSORY for all exchange students and consists of the following events:
- Orientation Session: first official event for exchange students at JKU - information and instructions about important formalities and the first steps after arrival are given by the International Office - first meeting with all other exchange students
- Enrolment: takes place AFTER registration with the International Office
- Meeting with the academic coordinator at JKU: provides opportunity to discuss course selection for the exchange period
- KUSSS training: instruction session for the online course registration
CULTURAL SENSITIVITY TRAINING
As part of the pre-semester programme exchange students have the chance to attend a "Cultural sensitivity training" (2 ECTS credits).
The group will discuss cultural specificities of the host country and their own cultural backgrounds/identities. Students will also focus intensively on images, perceptions, “positive” and “negative” stereotypes associated with national cultures.
Day Two (Project Day):
In small groups and teams, participants will work on projects in town (field studies, interviewing people, observation tasks).
Team project results will be presented to the entire group and each project will be reflected upon and critically analysed. Students will develop methods that they can apply when encountering their host culture and when working in multicultural teams (international student body on campus).
You can sign up for the course in the online application. Due to the limited number of places, enrolment is on a first-come, first-served basis.
INTENSIVE GERMAN LANGUAGE COURSES
Prior to the beginning of each semester Intensive German Language Courses for exchange students are offered on 4 different levels:
- beginners I
- beginners II
The courses are valid 3 ECTS credits and free of charge. The level preference needs to be indicated in online application. Due to the limited number of places, enrolment is on a first-come, first-served basis.
EXPLORE UPPER AUSTRIA
Get to know Linz and its surroundings! The following tours and day trips are offered during the pre-semester programme:
- Linz City Tour: Guided city tour - free of charge
- Mauthausen: Visit of a former concentration camp (www.mauthausen-memorial.at)
- Steyr: Get to know an Upper Austrian City (www.steyr.at)
- Landhaus: Guided tour at the seat of the Upper Austrian Government
- Hallstatt: Visit of cultural heritage site + guided tour through salt mine (http://www.hallstatt.net, www.salzwelten.at)
The excursion offer might vary from semester to semester. Tickets can be purchased during the Orientation Session and at the International Office for a small fee.
The JKU International Office arranges accommodation for exchange students! You can choose among several student dormitories that are located close to the JKU campus. Double rooms are available starting from € 190 and single rooms from € 245 (rates per person and month).