Incoming Exchange Students.
Come to the JKU and experience an unforgettable adventure!
Do you want to study abroad and learn or improve your German? – Located in the heart of Europe, the JKU is the perfect destination. Enjoy the charming atmosphere, a safe and green environment, plenty of outdoor recreation, and a rich cultural experience.
This page provides information for students who are interested in an exchange semester or year at the JKU. Prospective exchange students have to apply for the programme through and be nominated by their home university.
There is NO partnership agreement between the JKU and your home university? Apply for regular admission.
Over 2500 courses are held at the JKU each semester - approx. 500 of them are in English language.
- Business & Economics
- Social Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Engineering (predominantly in German)
- Law (predominantly in German)
- Medicine (German only)
Semester Dates (including the pre-semester programme)academic calendar
Before the official start of each semester...
...the International Office organizes a number of events that provide valuable opportunities to learn more about JKU, the city of Linz and its surrounding area. These 3 weeks are perfect to meet other exchange students.
The attandance of the orientation programme is COMPULSORY for all exchange students and consists of the following events:
- Orientation Session: first official event for exchange students at JKU - information and instructions about important formalities and the first steps after arrival are given by the International Office - first meeting with all other exchange students
- Enrolment: takes place AFTER registration with the International Office
- Meeting with the academic coordinator at JKU: provides opportunity to discuss course selection for the exchange period
- KUSSS training: instruction session for the online course registration
CULTURAL SENSITIVITY TRAINING
As part of the pre-semester programme exchange students have the chance to attend a "Cultural sensitivity training" (2 ECTS credits).
The group will discuss cultural specificities of the host country and their own cultural backgrounds/identities. Students will also focus intensively on images, perceptions, “positive” and “negative” stereotypes associated with national cultures.
Day Two (Project Day):
In small groups and teams, participants will work on projects in town (field studies, interviewing people, observation tasks).
Team project results will be presented to the entire group and each project will be reflected upon and critically analysed. Students will develop methods that they can apply when encountering their host culture and when working in multicultural teams (international student body on campus).
You can sign up for the course in the online application. Due to the limited number of places, enrolment is on a first-come, first-served basis.
INTENSIVE GERMAN LANGUAGE COURSES
Prior to the beginning of each semester Intensive German Language Courses for exchange students are offered on 4 different levels:
- beginners I
- beginners II
The courses are valid 3 ECTS credits and free of charge. The level preference needs to be indicated in online application. Due to the limited number of places, enrolment is on a first-come, first-served basis.
EXPLORE UPPER AUSTRIA
Get to know Linz and its surroundings! The following tours and day trips are offered during the pre-semester programme:
- Linz City Tour: Guided city tour - free of charge
- Mauthausen: Visit of a former concentration camp (www.mauthausen-memorial.at)
- Steyr: Get to know an Upper Austrian City (www.steyr.at)
- Landhaus: Guided tour at the seat of the Upper Austrian Government
- Hallstatt: Visit of cultural heritage site + guided tour through salt mine (http://www.hallstatt.net, www.salzwelten.at)
The excursion offer might vary from semester to semester. Tickets can be purchased during the Orientation Session and at the International Office for a small fee.
The JKU International Office arranges accommodation for exchange students! You can choose among several student dormitories that are located close to the JKU campus. Double rooms are available starting from € 190 and single rooms from € 245 (rates per person and month).
Step-by-Step Application Process.
Apply for your exchange period at your home university.
After your official nomination by your home university you will receive an email from the JKU's International Office containing the link to the online application form and detailed information.
Follow the instructions and complete JKU's online application before June 1 for the winter semester/ November 15 for the summer semester.
Once your application has been approved, you will receive your acceptance documents by email.
Entry and Residence Regulations.
STUDENTS FROM NON-EUROPEAN UNION COUNTRIES
Students from non-European Union countries require a Visa D or residence permit to legally enter and reside in Austria. See Visa and Entry Regulations for Austria for detailed information.
STUDENTS FROM EU & EFTA COUNTRIES
For students from the EU, EFTA countries and Switzerland there are no specific regulations to legally enter Austria - a valid ID is sufficient.
For legal residence a confirmation of registration ("Anmeldebescheinigung") is required. Therefore it is necessary to register at the "Magistrat Linz, Abteilung Aufenthaltsrecht, Hauptstraße 1 – 5, 4041 Linz" within the first 4 months after arrival for a fee of € 35.
The following documents are required:
- recent passport-sized photograph
- valid identification card or passport
- proof of health insurance covering all the necessary costs (e.g. European Health Insurance Card)
- proof of sufficient financial means
- confirmation of admission issued by the university (Studienbestätigung)
Failure to comply with this regulation may result in a fine.