Come to the JKU and experience an unforgettable adventure!
Do you want to study abroad and learn or improve your German? – Located in the heart of Europe, the JKU is the perfect destination. Enjoy the charming atmosphere, a safe and green environment, plenty of outdoor recreation, and a rich cultural experience.
This page provides information for students interested in spending a semester or year on exchange at the JKU. Prospective exchange students must apply for the program at their home university and receive an official nomination.
NO partnership agreement between the JKU and your home university? Then apply for regular admission.
Curious to know what you can expect from studying in Austria? Watch the video!
The JKU holds over 2500 courses each semester - approx. 500 of these courses are offered in English.
- Business & Economics
- Social Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Engineering (predominantly in German)
- Law (predominantly in German)
- Medicine (German only)
Exchange students should have at least a B2 level of language proficiency in the language of instruction (English or German, depending on the degree program and selected courses).
The following certifications are accepted:
- All internationally recognized language certificates such as TOEFL, Goethe, etc.
- English or German courses at the required level (minimum B2) as noted in your Transcript of Records
- Confirmation issued by your home university in regards to your language skills (English and/or German) at the required level (minimum B2).
Semester Dates (including the pre-semester programme)
Sem. 1: Mid-September - January 31, Sem. 2: Mid-February - June 30
Before the semester officially starts...
...the International Office organizes a number of events that provide valuable opportunities to learn more about JKU, the city of Linz and its surrounding area. These 3 weeks are also perfect to meet fellow exchange students.
The orientation programme for exchange students is MANDATORY and consists of the following events:
- Orientation Session: The International Office's first official event for exchange students at JKU to provide information and instructions about important formalities and the first steps after arrival - first meeting with fellow exchange students
- Enrolment: Students will be officially enrolled at the university AFTER registering at the International Office
- Meeting with an Academic Coordinator at JKU: Students can discuss their course selection at the JKU
- KUSSS Training: Tutorial to learn how to register for courses online
CULTURAL SENSITIVITY TRAINING
As part of the pre-semester programme, exchange students will attend a "Cultural Sensitivity Training" course (2 ECTS credits).
The group will discuss the host country's cultural specificities and their own cultural backgrounds/identities. Students will also focus intensively on images, perceptions, “positive” and “negative” stereotypes associated with national cultures.
Day Two (Project Day):
In small groups and teams, participants will work on projects in town (field studies, interviewing people, observation tasks).
Team project findings will be presented to the entire group and each project will be reflected upon and critically analysed. Students will develop methods that they can apply when encountering their host culture and when working in multicultural teams (international student body on campus).
Sign up for the course when completing your online application. Due to the limited number of spots, enrolment is on a first-come, first-served basis.
INTENSIVE GERMAN LANGUAGE COURSES
Prior to the beginning of each semester, the JKU offers Intensive German Language Courses for exchange students on 4 different levels:
- Beginners I
- Beginners II
The courses are worth 3 ECTS credits and are free of charge. Indicate the level you wish to attend when completing the online application. Due to the limited number of spots, enrolment is on a first-come, first-served basis.
EXPLORE UPPER AUSTRIA
Get to know Linz and its surroundings! The following tours and day trips are offered during the pre-semester programme:
- Linz City Tour: Guided city tour - free of charge
- Mauthausen: Visit of a former concentration camp (www.mauthausen-memorial.at)
- Steyr: Get to know an Upper Austrian city (www.steyr.at)
- Landhaus: Guided tour at the seat of the Upper Austrian Government
- Hallstatt: Visit of cultural heritage site + guided tour through salt mine (http://www.hallstatt.net, www.salzwelten.at)
The day trip program may vary each semester. Tickets can be purchased during the Orientation Session and at the International Office for a small fee.
The JKU International Office arranges accommodation for exchange students! You can choose from among several student dormitories, most of them in close proximity to the JKU campus. Double rooms are available starting from € 190 and single rooms from € 250 (rates per person, per month).