- Empirical research, and the description, explanation, evaluation and prediction of human experiences and human behavior
- The application of psychological knowledge to create psychologically healthy living and working conditions
- Applied areas such as technical and media psychology, work, organizational and economic psychology as well as health psychology
with specialization in Technology and Economy.
Do you track your workouts or stream music online? How does digitalization impact our your health and occupational environment? This comprehensive graduate degree program in Psychology combines general, conventional studies inthe traditional study of psychology with practical applications for a digital society.
On one hand, the program provides conventional, base-knowledge education a sound psychological background focused on about the human experience and human behavior as individuals and in groups corresponding influences on individuals and on groups, over an the entire lifespan. Goal is the ability to:
- Understand individual, social, organizational and societal challenges
- Meet these challenges through diagnosticsassessment, consulting and intervention, diagnosis, counseling, and intervention
In addition, the program focuses on THE challenges all scientific disciplines currently face: Constant change processess in business, technology, society and culture as well as their impact on individuals, groups, organizations, and society itself.
This is where the JKU Master's degree in Psychology builds bridges: You can acquire the expertise and strong skills needed set to help shape, drive and steer current change processes in a humane wayin a way that promotes human well-being.
Master of Science (MSc)
German (individual seminars and option to submit thesis in English)
Why this degree is particularly attractive
- Austria's only psychology degree program that specializes in technology and media, in connection with labor, health and business.
- Special fields in psychology include human-machine interaction, handling artificial intelligence, and robot psychology. We offer you expertise in these fields and hands-on experience in these subject areas through our collaboration with the Linz Institute of Technology (LIT) at the JKU.
- The Master's degree in Psychology at the JKU focuses includes a focus primarily on innovative survey methods (wearables, beacons, smart technologies, etc.)
Areas of Specialization
The Master's degree program in Psychology at the JKU focuses on providing students with sound methodological expertise, hands-on, real-world practice as well as a focus on and opportunities for hands-on experience in technical and economic fields. The program deals with technology and economy:
- Psychology - Human experiences and behavior
- Basic & advanced psychology skills (research methods, assessment and evaluation)
- Hands-on practice in a real-world environment external internship in psychology)
- Specialization - Applications in Technology & Economy with a focus on supporting well-being & health in these areas.
- Human-machine interaction, design/impact of technologically-mediated communication processes
- New work environments (digitization, flexibilization, etc.) and their impact on people individuals and organizations
What You Will Learn in the Program
Extensive expertise and hands-on skills
A specific skill set
...in the theoretical conception, application and evaluation of
- Psychological technologies, such as internet-based assessment, counseling and intervention
- Psychological measures in the business and healthcare context, such as employee selection and human resource development, job design, market and consumer research, preventative healthcare and health promotion, public health
You will acquire
- The basis of for a post-graduate education degree in Austria (Clinical Psychology, Health Psychology)
- The right to professionally bear the title of "Psychologist" in Austria (Psychologists Act 2013)
The JKU Master's degree program in Psychology fulfills the substantive recommendations as outlined by the German Psychological Society for a general Master's degree in Psychology with a specialized focus.
Your Career Prospects
We have designed the Master's degree in Psychology at the JKU to include a strong focus on methodological foundation. This opens the doors to a variety of professional fields, including:
- Healthcare and Social Service Sector
- Business / Management Consulting
- Technological Development
- Education and Teaching
- Job analysis and design
- Planning, implementing, and evaluating health promotion measures
- Employee selection & human resources development
- Implementing modern management and leadership concepts
- Designing and evaluating multimedia educational materials
- Planning and conducting usability studies
- Conducting market and opinion research
- Accompanying organizational change processes / agile corporate development
- ...and much more
- As a company psychologist, you analyze and design jobs so that employees are more satisfied, healthier, and able to work more efficiently. These measures will help to reduce work accidents, burnout, sick leave and employee turnover.
- As a psychologist at a market research institute, you help to analyze consumer needs and behaviors. This helps you better predict future trends and provide sound product and pricing recommendations.
- As a psychologist in healthcare, you focus on the implementation and acceptance of new technologies such as healthcare robots, electronic health records, or workplace fitness trackers.
As part of the Master’s degree program, students are required to complete courses totaling 120 ECTS credits in the following areas.
Mandatory Subjects (50 ECTS Credits)
Offered in German only
|Forschungs- & Evaluationsmethoden||10|
|Projektarbeit / Kommunikation wissenschaftlicher Ergebnisse|| |
Electives (18 ECTS Credits)
Courses offered in German only.
|Subject Area||ECTS Credits|
Grundlagenvertiefung (zwei Fächer zu je 6 ECTS zur freien Wahl)
Internship (10 ECTS credits)
|Subject Area||ECTS Credits|
|Begleitveranstaltung zur Praxis||10|
Master's Thesis (30 ECTS Credits)
All courses are in German only.
|Subject Area||ECTS Credits|
|Begleitlehrveranstaltungen zur Masterarbeit||30|
Autonomous Coursework (12 ECTS Credits)
All courses are in German only.
|Subject Area||ECTS Crecits|
Prospective applicants to the Master's degree program in Psychology (focus on Technology & Economy) must fulfill the following two pre-requisites in order to be admitted to the program:
- Hold a Bachelor's/Diploma degree in Psychology earned at a university or recognized post-secondary educational institution in Austria or abroad, and
- successfully complete the admissions procedure
Contact the Admissions Office or see the curriculum for detailed information about the admission requirements.
Advanced Degree Programs
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a general degree in Psychology
and the Psychology program with a specialization on Technology and Economy?
The Master's degree program Psychology at the Johannes Kepler University is a general psychology degree program with a specialized focus of application. This means you have a sound general education in psychological methods and theories, but with an emphasis on applying psychological insights in technological and economic fields.
What is the difference to a Business Psychology degree program?
Many degree programs in Economic or Business Psychology have been designed to complement a non-psychology undergraduate degree program such as Business Administration or Economics. These programs usually focus on economics and/or interdisciplinary education with insights into the field of psychology.
In contrast, the Master's degree program at the JKU is an "academic degree program in Psychology" in a strict sense. In accordance with the Austrian Psychologists Act, program graduates are "psychologists" and during the program, students acquire the necessary educational basis for post-graduate studies in health or clinical psychology. They are therefore free to choose a profession from the full range of psychological careers. Graduates can pursue professions directly in business or technical fields or at the interface between these areas and "conventional" areas, such as health psychology or psychological assessment.
How Do I Start My Studies at the JKU?
Click here for guidelines ranging from how to register online to enroll to how to pay tuition fees. Let us help you start your studies!
We have staff members on hand to answer any questions you may have about the program. Do not hesitate to contact us if you require more detailed information.
Similar Degree Programs
These academic degree programs may also be of interest:
Feel Like Studying?
Get Off to a Good Start!
Click here for additional information about the admissions procedure and successfully strating your studies.