with specialization in Technology and Economy.
Do you track your workouts or stream music online? How does digitalization impact our health and occupational environment? This comprehensive graduate degree program in Psychology combines general, conventional studies in psychology with practical applications for a digital society.
On one hand, the program provides conventional, base-knowledge education about the human experience and human behavior corresponding influences on individuals and on groups, over an entire lifespan.
- Understand individual, social, organizational and societal challenges
- Meet these challenges through diagnostics, consulting and intervention
In addition, the program focuses on THE challenges all scientific disciplines face: Constant change processes in business, technology, society and culture as well as the impact on individuals, groups, organizations, and society itself.
This is where the JKU Master's degree in Psychology builds bridges: You acquire the expertise and strong skill needed set to help shape, drive and steer current change processes in a humane way.
Master of Science (MSc)
German (individual seminars and option to submit thesis in English)
Why this degree is particularly attractive
- Austria's only psychology degree program that specializes in technology and media, in connection with labor, health and business.
- Special fields in psychology include human-machine interaction, handling artificial intelligence, and robot psychology. We offer you expertise in these fields and hands-on experience in these subject areas through our collaboration with the Linz Institute of Technology (LIT) at the JKU.
- The Master's degree in Psychology at the JKU focuses primarily on innovative survey methods (wearables, beacons, smart technologies, etc.)
Areas of Specialization
The Master's degree program in Psychology at the JKU focuses on providing students with sound methodological expertise, hands-on, real-world practice as well as a focus on technology and economy:
- Psychology - Human experience and behavior
- Sound base-knowledge skills in psychology (research methods, diagnostics)
- Hands-on practice in a real-world environment (independent, external internship in psychology at a relevant institution or practice)
- Specialization - Applied areas in Technology & Economy with focus on supporting well-being & health in these areas.
- Human-machine interaction, design/impact of technologically conveyed communication processes
- New work environments (digitization, flexibilization, etc.) and the impact on people and organization
What You Will Learn in the Program
As a program graduate, you will possess extensive expertise and hands-on capabilities in
- Empirical research, and in describing, explaining, evaluating, and predicting the human experience and human behavior
- Applying psychological expertise through diagnostics, counseling and intervention to create humane living and working conditions
- Applied areas such as technical and media psychology, labor, organizational and business psychology as well as health psychology
According to field of specialization, you acquire a specific skill set in the theoretical conception, application and evaluation of
- Psychological technologies, such as internet-based diagnostics, counseling and intervention
- Psychological measures in the business and healthcare context, such as selecting employees and human resource development, job design, market and consumer research, support preventative healthcare and healthcare in general, public health
The JKU Master's degree in Psychology fulfills the substantive recommendations as outlined by the German Psychological Society for a general Master's degree in Psychology with a specialized focus. You acquire
- The basis of post-graduate education in Austria (Clinical Psychology, Health Psychology)
- The right to professionally bear the title of "Psychologist" in Austria (Psychologists Act 2013)
Your Career Prospects
We have designed the Master's degree in Psychology´at the JKU to include a strong focus on methodological foundations. This opens the doors to a variety of professions, including:
- Health and Social Work
- Business / Management Consulting
- Technological Development
- Career at a University or at External Research Facilities
- Education and Teaching
- Work analysis and design
- Planning, implementing and evaluating health support measures
- Employee selection & human resources development
- Implement modern management and leadership concepts
- Design and evaluate multimedia educational courses
- Plan and conduct usability studies
- Conduct market and opinion research
- Accompany organizational change processes / agile corporate design
- and much more
- As a company psychologist, you analyze and design jobs so that employees are more satisfied, healthier, and able to work more efficiently. These measures will help to reduce work accidents, burnout, sick leave and employee turnover.
- As a psychologist at a market research institute, you help to analyze consumer needs and behaviors. This can help you better predict future trends and provide sound product and pricing recommendations.
- As a psychologist or healthcare psychologist, you are involved in implementing and accepting of new technologies such as healthcare robots, electronic health records, or fitness trackers to support healthy practices in the workplace.
As part of the Master’s degree program, students are required to complete courses totaling 120 ECTS credits in the following areas.
Mandatory Subjects (50 ECTS Credits)
Offered in German only
|Forschungs- & Evaluationsmethoden||10|
|Projektarbeit / Kommunikation wissenschaftlicher Ergebnisse|| |
Electives (18 ECTS Credits)
Courses offered in German only.
|Subject Area||ECTS Credits|
Grundlagenvertiefung (zwei Fächer zu je 6 ECTS zur freien Wahl)
Internship (10 ECTS credits)
|Subject Area||ECTS Credits|
|Begleitveranstaltung zur Praxis||10|
Master's Thesis (30 ECTS Credits)
All courses are in German only.
|Subject Area||ECTS Credits|
|Begleitlehrveranstaltungen zur Masterarbeit||30|
Autonomous Coursework (12 ECTS Credits)
All courses are in German only.
|Subject Area||ECTS Crecits|
Prospective applicants to the Master's degree program in Psychology (focus on Technology & Economy) must fulfill the following two pre-requisites in order to be admitted to the program:
- Hold a Bachelor's/Diploma degree in Psychology earned at a university or recognized post-secondary educational institution in Austria or abroad, and
- Take and successfully pass the admissions procedure
Contact the Admissions Office or see the curriculum for detailed information about the admission requirements.
Advanced Degree Programs
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a general degree in Psychology
and the Psychology program with a specialization on Technology and Economy?
The Master's degree program Psychology at the Johannes Kepler University is a general psychology degree with specialized subject area. This means you have a sound general education basis in various methods and base-knowledge in psychology, but with an emphasis on applying psychological insight to technology and business.
What is the difference to a Business Psychology degree program?
Many degree programs in Business Psychology have been designed to complement a non-psychology undergraduate degree program such as Business Administration. These programs usually focus on business and/or interdisciplinary education with insight into the field of psychology.
In contrast, the Master's degree program at the JKU is an "academic degree program in Psychology" in a strict sense. In accordance with the Austrian Psychologists Act, program graduates are "psychologists" and during the program, students acquire the necessary educational basis for post-graduate studies in health or clinical psychology. They are therefore more free to choose a profession as they have studied the full range of the field of psychology. Graduates can pursue professions directly in business or technical fields or at the interface between these areas and "conventional" areas such as health psychology or psychological diagnostics.
How Do I Start My Studies at the JKU?
Click here for guidelines ranging from how to register online to enroll to how to pay tuition fees. Let us help you start your studies!
We have staff members on hand to answer any questions you may have about the program. Do not hesitate to contact them if you require more detailed information.
Similar Degree Programs
These academic degree programs may also be of interest:
Feel Like Studying?
Get Off to a Good Start!
Click here for additional information about the admissions procedure and successfully strating your studies.