Biological Chemistry is an academic degree program in natural and life sciences providing students with an understanding of chemistry as well as the underlying principles at the interface of chemical and biological processes in living systems. During the program, students focus on the pathways in chemistry that are vital for the function and analysis of living systems, such as fields in biology dominated by chemical interactions. The double Bachelor’s degree program is offered by the JKU Linz together with the University of South Bohemia (USB) in Budweis (České Budějovice). Spanning two countries, this English-language program combines the academics of both universities, offering students two distinctive learning environments and English proficiency.
- Comprehensive education in base-knowledge chemistry
- Education in microbiology and molecular biology based on an understanding of biochemistry
- Well-rounded, international academic experience abroad
- Improve your proficiency in English
- Dual Bachelor's degree program
Bachelor's Degree in
Double Bachelor's Degrees:
Bachelor of Science (BSc)
Linz and Budweis
English (Level B2)
Register to Enroll Secure your spot to study!Learn more
Program Objectives, Job Opportunities, Career Prospects
Students who successfully complete the academic degree program in Biological Chemistry qualify for careers requiring solid expertise and international experience in the field of chemistry and biology. After completing the Bachelor's degree program, students will have solid base knowledge of chemistry, including general, organic, inorganic, analytical and physical chemistry as well as molecular biology and bioanalytics. The two distinct learning environments at each university mean that students not only develop critical thinking and problem-based learning skills, they also cultivate cross-cultural communication skills in order to work effectively across borders as part of an interdisciplinary team. The international, double-degree program provides graduates with a broad foundation in modern sciences and graduates have outstanding career prospects.
Students who successfully complete the Bachelor’s degree program in Biological Chemistry are qualified to pursue professions in Austria or abroad at
- at research facilities, medical laboratories
- in production and quality control at biotechnology and chemical companies, such as for medical products, pharmaceuticals, biopolymers, cosmetics, natural products, fibers, etc.
- at offices, agencies, and authorities (such as environmental, employee, and consumer protection as well as licensing offices for chemical and biological products and/or processes)
Following the successful completion of the Bachelor’s degree program, a large number of students opt to continue their studies by enrolling in the Master’s degree program.
ADVANCED DEGREES AT THE JKU
After completing your undergraduate degree, you can continue your education by pursuing an advanced degree:
Recommended Study Plan
As part of the Bachelor’s degree program, students are required to complete courses totaling 180 ECTS credits in the following areas:
|General and Inorganic Chemistry||x||x|
|Mathematics and Physics||x||x||x||x|
|Bachelor's Examination (State Exam)||x|
*JKU Linz **USB ***JKU/USB
The curriculum is available in the download center below or contact the Office of Studies Information and Academic Advising Services (SiBS).
The degree program includes attending two universities: 1st, 2nd and 5th semester: JKU Linz (A); 3rd and 4th semester: USB Budweis (CZ); 6th semester: JKU Linz (A) / USB Budweis (CZ).
See the Institute for Organic Chemistry for additional information.
- General higher education entrance qualifications (such as an Austrian "Matura" diploma)
- English Language skills on Level B2 (Matura level) recommended.
- Contact the Zulassungsservice for additional information about the admission requirements.