Is your favorite sports team winning tonight? Would you make a lot of money selling air conditioners because of climate change? As a data scientist, you are part computer scientist and part trend-spotter. Pursue a competitive edge now!
Students in the Bachelor's degree program in Statistics and Data Science focus on learning how researchers draw conclusions about climate change, how banks assess the stock risks, and how betting companies calculate their odds. Data analysis is the basis for the way the world moves. Program graduates work on these kinds of topics and more together with experts in corresponding fields and help to shape the future.
Data Managers are highly sought-after and in great demand at many companies. Their success is based on data analytics, which is why companies and institutions such as the Voestalpine, Hofer KG, Runtastic, Statistik Austria, Google, Netflix as well as banks and hospitals rely on your insight as a statistician or data scientist.
Bachelor of Science (BSc)
Register to Enroll Register to enroll betweenEnter Your Personal Information Online
What Makes This Program Special
- The Bachelor's degree program in Statistics features a combination of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence and is unique in Austria. We take advantage of the JKU's resources and classes offered in computer sciences, business informatics and artificial intelligence.
- Students can write their thesis for a company and even get paid for it. Past examples include: Hofer KG, Greiner, Voest, Pöttinger, Cubido, Upper Austrian Chamber of Labour, Statistik Austria, and many more.
- From loan approval to developing new drugs - you will acquire a broad spectrum of skills and expertise that is in high demand at a variety of companies.
- The JKU Linz has a good student-to-faculty ratio and students enjoy personal contact with professors and classmates - even at other departments. Any problems or questions can be discussed in a personal setting.
Areas of Specialization
Students in the Bachelor's degree program Statistics and Data Science acquire expertise in:
- Data Science
- Statistical Methods of Data Analysis
- Mathematics and Computer Science
- Programming languages such as R, Python, Javaa
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- Big Data
You will learn to analyze data. The results help you to find solutions highly sought after by businesses, industry, medicine and biology, for example.
What You Will Learn in the Program
Students learn about statistical methodologies and their applications, acquiring extensive, interdisciplinary basics and the following skills:
- Solid base-knowledge of mathematics and computer science
- Understanding models and methods to acquire and analyze data
- Apply statistical methodology to solve real-world problems
- Acquire a strong social skill set and learn how to work effectively as part of a team
- Innovative insight to further develop methods
Your career opportunities lie in areas requiring data to be collected, systematically managed, evaluated and presented on a large scale. You are in high demand in the job market because, among other things, the demand for educated statisticians is soaring due to digitization and new ways to collect data. Our graduates learn about addressing the following:
- Industry and Research: Can I develop a robotic vacuum cleaner that work better than previous models?
- Healthcare: How well do relatives cope when caring for loved ones who have dementia?
- Medicine: Does the new drug really work better?
- Banks and Insurance Companies: Who is eligible for a loan? How much risk provision does a bank need in order to avoid a future banking crisis?
- Statistics Offices: How can I make information available to the general public without relaying someone's personal information?
- Market and Opinion Research: Where do young people like to go on vacation (and with whom)?
The Bachelor's degree program in Statistics and Data Science consists of the following areas:
- General higher education entrance qualifications (such as an Austrian “Matura” diplom )
Contact the Admissions Office for additional information about the admission requirements.
Advanced Degree Programs
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Statics and Statistics?
Statics is about building stability. Statistics involves taking available data and drawing conclusions.
Isn't the Statistics program "dry" and theoretical?
On the contrary. Statistical methods give you exciting insight that plays a key role in developing new drugs or supporting management decisions.
Do I have to be good in math?
It would be an advantage. You should have a basic interest and aptitude in mathematics. To help you get started, you could take a preparation course that revises the material taught at upper-level high schools.
What is the difference between this program and the previous program "Statistics"?
The new curriculum now includes courses focusing on areas useful for data sciences. In addition to statistics, for example, the program includes base-knowledge courses in Data Mining and Artificial Intelligence to help you to work with "Big Data".
What is the difference to the degree program in Artificial Intelligence?
The Bachelor's degree programs in Artificial Intelligence and Statistics & Data Science overlap to the extent that both programs contain courses in Mathematics, Computer Science, Data Science and Machine Learning.
The program objective, however, is different: While our program provides students with a broad spectrum of statistical methods that can be used to analyze data, the undergraduate degree program in Artificial Intelligence focuses on computer sciences.
Another difference is the language of instruction: Statistics & Data Science is offered in German.
Similiar Degree Programs
You may also find these degree programs interesting: