Autonomous vehicles, healthcare robots, intelligent household appliances, autonomous irrigation and fertilizer systems, smart digital assistants: Artificial Intelligence is finding its way into our everyday lives. Be at the forefront to help shape the great digital revolution.
Experts say that Artificial Intelligence (AI) will be more groundbreaking than electricity. Those who are one step ahead can play a key role in contributing to the way our future lives will be shaped. The new Bachelor's degree program in Artificial Intelligence (AI) provides you with an ideal start to this mission. You control how and what machines learn. You develop the learning algorithms and methods needed for making intelligent decisions.
Why is the JKU the perfect place for this? Because Linz is a globally recognized hot-spot in AI research. Because this is among the first AI degree programs in Europe. Because the program is in English and internationally oriented. But above all: Because you don't just want to experience the future, you want to actively create it.
Bachelor of Science (BSc)
English (Level B2)
optional with elements of distance learning
optional with elements of distance learning
Site Information (German only)
What Makes This Program Special
- The Bachelor's degree program in Artificial Intelligence at the JKU makes you unique: It is among one of the first AI degree programs in Europe. There is no comparable degree program in Austria.
- Human or machine? Clearly both. At the JKU, you will learn how Artificial Intelligence can serve society - but also where the dangers lie.
- Your base-knowledge education in mathematics and computer science is balanced, but you will also become an expert in specific AI fields, including machine learning, knowledge representation, and language processing.
Core Subject Areas
The curriculum has been designed to provide you with in-depth knowledge and education in computer sciences, mathematics, and core fields in Artificial Intelligence:
Computer Science: Learn Python programming as well as core base-knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
Mathematics: Learn core mathematics relevant to AI.
- AI Basics and Practical Work: Courses and practicums are hands-on, focusing on core skills and abilities to address real-world problems.
- AI and Society: How smart can machines be and how can we use them in our everyday lives? You will focus on just how important AI is for our society and how smart machines interact with people.
- Data Science: Get information using mathematical, statistical and computer science techniques. Learn all about speech processing and signal processing.
Knowledge Representation and Reasoning: How can knowledge be transferred to a machine in such a way that allows it to draw conclusions or solve problems?
- Machine Learning and Perception: How can machines learn from information input and experiences to address future tasks? How do machines perceive their environment and learn to understand it? Can machines learn more than humans?
What Will I Learn?
You will learn how to approach complex tasks methodically and in a structured way in order to systematically solve problems.
- Teamwork is the key: You and your classmates will not only work together to develop modern, useful solutions, but also present your concepts and findings together.
- Jump in with both feet! We will give you the skills and tools you need to be able to solve problems you encounter in your future professional career.
- Industrial companies and businesses are looking for AI experts like you! Graduates are in high demand and find jobs quickly.
- If you want to become more highly skilled, the Master's degree program builds on material taught in Bachelor's degree program.
Did you know?
Artificial Intelligence has already exceeded human performance in areas such as detecting breast cancer, lip-reading, and speech recognition.
Graduates of the Bachelor's degree program possess a broad range of high-level skills and expertise and are highly sought after in business and industry:
- Information Technology: Austria currently lacks over 10,000 IT specialists, particularly AI experts.
- Manufacturing and Supply Chains: As a specialist and manager, you can develop AI systems to control the flow of goods. As an analyst you can use AI methods to extract corresponding relationships and new information from available data: Where are the weak links in the supply chain? Which parts can be better optimized and how?
- Medicine and Healthcare: Use AI methods to improve diagnostic processes
- Transportation: Use AI methods to help design and develop autonomous vehicles
The Bachelor's degree program in Artificial Intelligence consists of the following areas:
Studies Introduction and Orientation Phase (StEOP)
New students will be required to complete the StEOP requirements at the beginning of the Bachelor's degree program. The StEOP requirements consists of certain courses that are outlined in the curriculum. Before completing the StEOP courses, you can only get limited academic credit when you take additional courses.
Admission to Studies
In order to be admitted to the Bachelor's degree program, you must fulfill the following requirements.
- Hold general higher education entrance qualifications (such as an Austrian "Matura" diploma)
- If your first language is not English, you will be required to submit proof of B2 level of language proficiency in English.
Register to Enroll Secure your spot to study!Learn more
If you would like to learn more about the Bachelor's degree program in Artificial Intelligence, we strongly recommend taking a look at the curriculum. In addition, we have separately summarized a few details for you.
Advanced Degrees at the JKU
After completing your undergraduate degree, you can continue your education by pursuing an advanced degree:
Frequently Asked Questions
How is the AI Program different from the Computer Science Program?
Whereas the academic degree program in Computer Science covers a broad spectrum of subject areas in computer sciences, the "Artificial Intelligence" program lets you specialize in certain areas. Learn how to develop algorithms and systems to teach machines cognitive abilities that can compare to - or even surpass - human intelligence. This includes - but is not limited to - machine sensing, learning, reasoning, scheduling, speech recognition, and automated decision making.
In addition to software development, the degree program in Computer Science focuses on the fundamentals and methods in the areas of hardware, theory, and applications. This includes subject areas such as Machine Learning, Internet of Things, Networks and Security, Model Checking, Cryptography, Computer Graphics, Multimedia, Operating Systems, Databases and Information Systems. The German-language undergraduate degree program provides base-knowledge to lay the foundations. The English-language Master's degree program gives students an opportunity to specialize in one of six main areas (Computational Engineering, Data Science, Intelligent Information Systems, Networks and Security, Pervasive Computing, Software Engineering).
The Artificial Intelligence program focuses initially on basic principles including programming, mathematics, statistics and logic followed by machine learning, data sciences, reasoning and speech processing. Whereas the undergraduate degree program provides instruction in the basic components of AI, students in the graduate degree program explore modern AI methods in depth that combine deep learning, recurrent networks, and reinforcement learning. The Master's degree program also includes an elective track allowing students to specialize in applied areas such as mechatronic systems, knowledge-based systems, and life sciences. Both the Bachelor's and Master's degree programs are held in English.
How does "Distance Learning" work?
The AI program is offered at the JKU's satellite campus in Vienna (German only) in the form of a live stream or as a video conference.
Faculty members hold the courses in classrooms at the JKU campus.
Video recordings of the class sessions will be made available online via the Moodle learning platform.
Examinations will be taken largely on-site in Linz or in Vienna.
Go to following overview for further information.
How do I start my studies at the JKU?
From the online pre-registration procedure to paying tuition fees – here you will find everything you need to know to help you take your first step to enroll!
How can I complete my studies in Vienna?
You must come to the JKU campus in person at least once in order to be admitted to the program.
Faculty members hold courses at the JKU campus. The courses are streamed live or shown via video conference at the JKU's satellite campus in Vienna (German only).
Most of the examinations can also be taken in Vienna.
Can I complete the AI Program from abroad via Distance Learning?
No. You must come to Linz in person at least once in order to officially enroll in the degree program and some courses will require your physical presence either in Linz or Vienna.
Examinations must be taken in person in Linz or Vienna.
News & Events
Similar Degree Programs
You might also find these academic degree programs interesting: