Do you hold a Bachelor's degree in Business Informatics, Computer Science or Business? Then you're ready for a unique specialization in the Master's degree program in Business Informatics.
The Master's degree program in Business Informatics gives students the opportunity to make individual choices and combine subject areas in business informatics, social and economic sciences, computer science, and engineering.
You graduate with your area of specialization and according to your career goals. Your expertise is derived from current research projects in the field.
You are best prepared for future roles in business or research: in leadership positions, as an expert to digitize business models, or start your own business!
Master of Science (MSc)
German (Level B2)
Full-Time / Part-Time
Register to Enroll Secure your spot to study!Learn more
What Makes This Program Special
- Personalize your graduate degree! You decide which areas of specialization you are interested in and how you want to combine them. You can choose from 10 pre-defined areas of specialization or, according to your personal interests, you can combine business informatics, computer science or business & economics.
- We guarantee hands-on, real-world skills and the most up-to-date areas of specialization made possible by many years of tried and true collaboration efforts with industry and businesses.
- The Business Informatics program is the only internationally accredited program of this kind in Austria. This means that the program's quality and curriculum have been reviewed by independent experts. This not only improves the international comparability of your degree, but makes you more mobile.
Core Subject Areas
The Master's degree program in Business Informatics allows you to determine your own area of focus. There are several options:
Choose one of our 10 pre-defined areas of specialization:
- Information & Knowledge Management
- Software & Data Engineering
- Web Engineering & Management
- Business Engineering & Logistics Management
- Security Engineering & Management
- Information Systems & Marketing
- Information Systems & Finance and Accounting
- Information Systems & Human Resource Management
- Information Systems & Economics
- Business Intelligence & Data Science
Or you can choose an area of specialization in business informatics, computer science or economics & business, which in turn can be put together on an individual basis according to the subject.
What You Will Learn in the Program
Executive management, key positions, expert - the Master's degree program in Business Informatics qualifies you to design and manage digitization projects focusing on creating human-task technology systems.
You acquire key interdisciplinary skills in management and engineering, enhance your leadership and research expertise, and strengthen your personal and social skill set.
You can choose from the following areas:
Did you know that...?
...studies in business informatics are rooted in Linz and combining engineering studies with subject areas in business as well as core skills in computer science at JKU is unique in Austria?
Information Engineering & Management
- As an expert in information engineering and management, you learn to link information technologies with business process management; optimally apply methods and tools to support strategic IT planning; take into account the contribution of information technology to a company's value creation according to organizational strategy; look at organizations from a process perspective; design and market corporate management in the software industry and/or software products and services.
- In the area of Service Engineering, you learn to understand the role electronic and web-based services play in commercial, industrial and personal environments; assess, implement and apply solution-oriented approaches to support development, operate and manage electronic services; learn about principles of engineering and organization, business models, application areas, standards and representative web-based services in the field of service engineering.
- Business Intelligence gives you the skills to extract, clean, transform and integrate internal and inter-company data stocks into a data warehouse. You learn how to systematically analyze business processes and company information using data warehousing and data mining methods and tools, develop mutual references for data sources, thus potentially acquiring new knowledge about patterns or discontinuities. You can prepare and design data and business processes using semantic methods and techniques in a way in which they can be automatically exchanged or networked between organizations. You will be able to design, implement and use decision-supporting information systems in the areas of data warehousing, data mining, and semantic technologies.
Business Engineering & Management
- Business Engineering and Management provides you with the expertise to initiate and responsibly support information and knowledge processing at organizations; record, specify and analyze knowledge-intensive processes as well as design and evaluate management tools (such as a balanced score card) in regard to usage context. You enhance your capability to work multi-dimensionally or cross-dimensionally (man-task-technology), support virtual corporate networks in a domain-oriented manner, develop method-guided potentials and implement these during the course of changing organizational work practices. You learn to develop new methods in knowledge management to support or advance company processes, pool methods according to potential and problems, and plan, implement, and manage business engineering projects according to subject area and method.
Your Career Prospects
As a graduate of business informatics from the JKU Linz, you can pursue leadership and management positions in business and administration, start an innovative company, or continue a career in research, i.e.
- as Chief Information Officer (CIO)
- in enterprise architecture management
- in business process management
- in data warehouse management
- managing digital innovations
- in software development manager
- in strategic IT consulting
- in (applied) Research & Development
Nowadays, it is nearly impossible to imagine business and administration without IT. And this field is constantly evolving, creating new jobs for you as a business computer scientist, for example
- developing IT products and providing IT services
- in marketing and selling IT products and IT services
- managing IT development
- in IT consulting
- in education/training in the IT sector
- in IT auditing and IT controlling
- in research and development in the IT sector
As part of the Master's degree program, students must successfully complete courses in the amount of 120 ETCS credits in the following subject areas:
|Subject Areas||ECTS Credits|
|Master's Thesis (including the Master's Thesis Seminar and Master's Examination)||30|
Admission to Studies
In order to be admitted to the Master's degree program, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- The Master's degree program in Business Informatics builds on material taught during the Bachelor's degree program in Business Informatics at the Johannes Kepler University Linz. Prospective students who have successfully completed one of these undergraduate degree programs at the Johannes Kepler University Linz can enroll for admission this Master's degree program:
- If your first language is not the language the program is offered in, you will be required to submit proof of B2 level of language proficiency in German.
If you have any questions about the Master's degree program in Business Informatics, do not hesitate to make an appointment for individual academic advising or come by during the following office hours:
Monday 1pm - 4pm, Wednesday 9am - 12pm.
If you would like to learn more about the Master's degree program in Business Informatics, we recommend taking a look at the curriculum. In addition, we have summarized additional details separately here:
Advanced Degree Programs
After completing the Master's degree program, you can continue your education by pursuing the following advanced degree:
Freqently Asked Questions
Can I go abroad for a semester or a year?
The Studies Commission strongly recommends and encourages students study at least one semester abroad. Click here for detailed information about studying abroad programs at the JKU.
Can I work and do the program part-time?
The curricula for the Bachelor's and Master's program in Business Informatics has been designed to be part-time and accommodate students who work. There are a variety of reasons why many of our students work while studying to earn an academic degree. Faculty members try to support these students by scheduling many courses and examinations that have required mandatory attendance at off-peak times or by holding blocked sessions. The program has been designed to give students many options and flexibility to complete the program while adhering to professional commitments.
Who can I talk to if I have questions?
If you have general questions about the program, you can contact the Austrian Student Union for Business Informatics by sending an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about transferring academic credit, please contact the praeses by sending an e-mail to: email@example.com.
June, 2020: Final Presentations
The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
Corona update on April 14th with financial economist Prof. Teo Cocca, marketing expert Prof. Christoph Teller and organizational researcher...
Master's Degree Program in Global Business makes Financial Times’ top 100 Masters in Management ranking.
One academic degree program, three international cultures!